Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How many bad blocks did you have?

Posted by Zack 
Re: How many bad blocks did you have?
July 03, 2009 10:11AM
Yisrolik
the bad blocks i think are on the sd itself so that wouldn't tell you anything. 4

wrong..
bad blocks are counted from the nand, so when you restore this blocks remain untouched (and also know if new bad blocks have appeared in your wii's nand and/or could give you problems restoring older backups, etc etc).. so, even if you have bad blocks on your sd, they are not explicit for the backup process (at least not until the program checks the nand.bin file)..

i think this bad-block-count is a form to protect the data structure of the nand, so it's not so pointless (just consider that if your bad blocks are magically fixed -on any storage device, not just a nand-, there's probably a problem into the device's memory allocation)..

btw, i still have the same 4 blocks i mentioned some time ago (and they are still on the same positions, even after i've updated my wii, restored it a lot of times -for 'learning purposes'- and of course, play,save&load).. consider this for future backups..
July 03, 2009 03:56PM
Also the user and the system usually have no way to tell, if a block on a SD card is bad, because bad blocked are detected and hidden away by the SD card on its own.
When software tries to access a bad block, the SD cards logic redirects that to a working spare block.
Also SD cards try to make sure, that all blocks are used equally.

Al this happens also on the Wii's NAND, but not as part of the hardware, but in software (IOS)

In theory, a (homebrew) program could try to damage the Wii's NAND chips on purpose.
July 09, 2009 07:31PM
I had 2 bad blocks as well.

My girlfriend only had one bad block on her NAND.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2009 06:39PM by kobalobasileus.
July 12, 2009 09:48AM
My original Wii LU52 had 1. My recent replacement LU51 has 6?? I've always wondered if these bad blocks make any real difference at all.
July 12, 2009 08:51PM
My first Wii had 1. The recent replacement Wii I received has 7. The first bad block on it started at 666. Ha. I've always wondered if these bad blocks make much of a difference?
July 18, 2009 08:44PM
I have 3 bad blocks.
July 23, 2009 11:09PM
Mine had 1 bad block after making the NAND backup for the first time last night.

Not sure if this is helpful, but I was able to make a backup with verification using a PNY Optima 60X 2GB SD card.
December 02, 2009 01:58AM
It doese'nt completely matter, I've heard Nintendo puts in a couple of bad blocks as a factory manufacture thing, mine had like 5 bad blocks.
December 02, 2009 04:10AM
i had 3 bad block the first time i backed up then i had 2
December 02, 2009 07:35PM
hunterm
It doese'nt completely matter, I've heard Nintendo puts in a couple of bad blocks as a factory manufacture thing, mine had like 5 bad blocks.

They dont "put them in", it'd just cost a fortune if they checked every single NAND for bad blocks, and got rid of any which did.
December 14, 2009 03:33AM
I have 20 Bad blocks here, on my fully customized Wii! Dosn't effect anything!
December 14, 2009 08:21PM
I had 1, I think it's a pretty good score :)
February 01, 2010 08:31PM
only one.
April 26, 2010 04:09AM
May 01, 2010 02:26AM
I have zero bad blocks. Zero.

I'm pretty proud.
June 04, 2010 02:47PM
I had 2.
July 07, 2010 12:38AM
I had just 1.
July 31, 2010 05:17AM
i have 4 on my boot2 wii and 0 on my full-bricked by ios 60 deletion wii
August 10, 2010 06:02AM
2 only and backup
August 11, 2010 02:13AM
11 i think...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login