Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about NAND backup/restore...

Posted by pimpsahoy 
July 16, 2009 08:38PM
If I backup my NAND and wish to restore it several months later, will all my save files for games be overwritten and will I lose all my progress that I've made between the time of backup and restore?
Re: Question about NAND backup/restore...
July 17, 2009 08:16PM
July 17, 2009 08:17PM
Yes. This is why I reccommend making regular backups, especially before installing stuff like preloader
July 17, 2009 08:29PM
Yes. That is why you should backup often. You will also lose any channels and tickets of VC and WiiWare games you purchase in Wii Shop. Anything stored in System Memory (i.e. NAND)
July 17, 2009 08:33PM
July 18, 2009 03:37AM
since it's a complete nand overwriting, any savegame, channel or configuration added, modified or deleted will return to the last point when the backup was made..
so, the answer you're looking for is clearly YES..
anyway, consider backup savegames periodically (and added channels as well) by the system menu's data management to any sd (if you don't want to redo a complete nand backup)..
also, you can try this application for the 'copy-resistant' saves (but be careful, read the warning and use it wisely)..
August 03, 2009 01:42AM
Hello,
Sorry if this question sounds silly and for my bad english, but I'd like to know if the nand.bin file I extracted thanks to BootMii (boot2 installed) can be removed and put back to the original or on another SD card. This question comes from this part of the bootmii installer readme:

"I. NAND Backup/Restore
[...] We suggest that you make a
backup of your Wii's NAND Flash, label the SD card and store it in a safe place in case you ever
need to recover from it."

Does the author mean that the file is written on it in a way that the restore process must be done with this particuliar SD and its originally written content? Or can I save the nand.bin file on a hard-disk drive and put it on another SD card despite this suggestion? I did not manage to find the answer with the search feature (this is why I'm asking here).
Thank you for any information!
September 06, 2009 08:00AM
As far as I know...

You can copy it somewhere else, onto a hard drive or other SD card.

That suggestion is so that you are sure that you have a safe copy of your wii's nand, kind of like taking out life insurance, its there when you eventually need it.

Hope I could help.
September 07, 2009 02:40AM
ok lets see if i understood
example:
i have ocarina of time and paper mario and i do a nand backup
i use my wii for 3 months and download zelda, zelda 2, and mariokart 64
during that time i dont do another backup
i brick my wii and restore it usin the nand backup from 3 months ago
i dont have zelda, zelda 2, and mariokart 64 and the points card that i used cant be used again and i lost those points

am i right?
September 07, 2009 05:00PM
Yes. The point balence will remain unchanged but not the record of downloading Zelda 1, 2 and Mario Kart. These will not stay and cannot be re-downloaded for free. You will not get your points back.
September 07, 2009 05:43PM
September 07, 2009 07:32PM
darklink
ok lets see if i understood
example:
i have ocarina of time and paper mario and i do a nand backup
i use my wii for 3 months and download zelda, zelda 2, and mariokart 64
during that time i dont do another backup
i brick my wii and restore it usin the nand backup from 3 months ago
i dont have zelda, zelda 2, and mariokart 64 and the points card that i used cant be used again and i lost those points

am i right?
Unfortunately, yes. :(
September 07, 2009 08:16PM
That is correct. You should make a NAND dump every time you purchase a WiiWare/VC game, and also do one regularly to make sure you dont lose valuable save games.
September 09, 2009 12:16AM
ok thx everyone
September 09, 2009 04:08PM
I think it goes like this :
Amount of points and permissions are on NAND.

If you do a NAND dump and buy a Nintendo Points Card and use it, you will get points. If your Wii, homever, gets bricked before you have had chance to do a NAND dump after withdrawing the points and you restore the earlier NAND dump, you can't use your points card again.

Am I right?
September 09, 2009 09:26PM
Matoking

If you do a NAND dump and buy a Nintendo Points Card and use it, you will get points. If your Wii, homever, gets bricked before you have had chance to do a NAND dump after withdrawing the points and you restore the earlier NAND dump, you can't use your points card again.

Am I right?

That is correct.
September 09, 2009 09:27PM
Yes. The points card is tracked on Nintendos servers.
September 09, 2009 09:31PM
Matoking

Am I right?
Yes. :(
September 10, 2009 01:37AM
metroid_maniac
Yes. The points card is tracked on Nintendos servers.

thats too bad
September 10, 2009 03:57PM
Not like I had done something like that. :P But yeah, be frequent with your backups.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login