Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Randomly Hangs at Boot

Posted by clueo8 
Wii Randomly Hangs at Boot
October 01, 2009 02:32AM
Here is my setup. I have the latest BootMii beta5 and I believe I have System Menu 4.1 (if not 4.0; I can confirm if this information is relevant) and I have BootMii installed on boot2. I have two SD cards which I use for my Wii, a 4GB card (which is incompatible with BootMii) and a 2GB card (which is compatible with BootMii). If I need to boot into BootMii from startup, I'll put in the compatible 2GB card and it works great; BootMii loads right now. But normally, I have my 4GB card always inserted as it has all my Homebrew Channel apps on it...

Here is my issue. When I power on my Wii with the 4GB card in, it will sometimes (50% of the time) flash the slot quickly twice (as BootMii expects) but it will not present me with the warning "Press A" black screen... The Wiimote actually loses Bluetooth connectivity as well. The only thing I can do is hold the power button down and restart the process... Usually the second try, it will boot to the warning screen and I can press A just fine.

I tested it out to see if booting without the 4GB incompatible SD card in the slot if it would work... 5 out of 5 times, it booted just fine.

Before I upgraded to BootMii beta5, I was at beta4 and noticed this issue as well... But I believe I was able to resolve it. What I did was removed the IOS BootMii files from my 4GB incompatible card (essentially deleted the 'bootmii' directory) and this seemed to fix this issue... I tried the same thing with beta5 but it does not work... It seems to look to the incompatible SD card to boot from boot2 and just hangs instead of bypassing it... Does anyone else notice the hangs if their card is incompatible and you have BootMii on boot2?
Re: Wii Randomly Hangs at Boot
October 02, 2009 04:09AM
I am not sure of this will help but you could format your incompatible SD card and try again. (back up any files you need onto the computer)

if that doesn't work, try a re-install of bootmii.
October 06, 2009 12:41AM
Format of 4gb SD seemed to have worked...
October 08, 2009 12:25AM
i have the same problem with my 4gb micro sd card
October 22, 2009 04:01AM
im having the same problem, and i can boot bootmii using hbc, but it just about always hangs when i boot my wii, its installed as boot2 and ios, using an 8gb adata sdhc, wii does flash twice during boot, but bootmii wont load, nor will the system menu. it seems like im able to load the system menu if i insert a dvd into drive while wii is in standby or off....any ideas? i havent tried formatting yet until i maybe hear some other ideas
October 22, 2009 11:16PM
sounds like a probable issue with SD card compatibility - especially as it's an SHDC one, I guess there's more likely to be issues with these.

Try booting without the SD card it - and it it then never freezes, either format the SD card and try again, or try a different one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login