Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HackMii Installer Download Link

Posted by ElosnocIiw 
HackMii Installer Download Link
June 13, 2010 05:49AM
BootMii developer/website administrator,

I have been developing a Windows application (may become available on Mac / Linux) that formats the SD card if requested, downloads the HackMii Installer, Homebrew Browser, and BannerBomb, extracts all files into their respective locations, and then shows a user how to install their requested Homebrew. To download the HackMii Installer, I need a static download link. Its name should stay intact for every update. The PHP get-file link that you have placed is not compatible with Visual Basic's Net.WebClient's DownloadFile Event.

If you have a static location, could you please send me the URL. If not, could you please create one?

Thanks,
Wii Man (Wiibrew: Elosnoc Iiw)
Re: HackMii Installer Download Link
June 13, 2010 10:23AM
not gonna happen. team twiizers dont want anyone hotlinking their files.
June 13, 2010 09:36PM
SifJar

No, they stated that they don't want anyone hosting the HackMii Installer. They never said about linking directly to the file. The program that I am creating would get the file from their server, so then, I am not re-hosting the files, or hotlinking them, I am sending a Net.WebClient to grab from the server (Visual Basic).

Public Sub Download_HackMiiInstaller()
        Dim HackMiiDownload As Net.WebClient = New Net.WebClient
        HackMiiDownload.DownloadFile("urltodownload", "C:\hackmiiinstaller.zip")
End Sub
June 13, 2010 10:48PM
Plus if people can't follow the simple directions to install homebrew, then they probably shouldn't be messing with their Wiis.
June 13, 2010 11:10PM
ElosnocIiw
SifJar

No, they stated that they don't want anyone hosting the HackMii Installer. They never said about linking directly to the file. The program that I am creating would get the file from their server, so then, I am not re-hosting the files, or hotlinking them, I am sending a Net.WebClient to grab from the server (Visual Basic).

Public Sub Download_HackMiiInstaller()
        Dim HackMiiDownload As Net.WebClient = New Net.WebClient
        HackMiiDownload.DownloadFile("urltodownload", "C:\hackmiiinstaller.zip")
End Sub

You're wrong. They have specifically stated that they do not wish people to hotlink it.

Also, I agree with bg4545's comment.
June 15, 2010 06:03PM
BootMii Download Page
Please link to this download page instead of re-hosting the Installer on your site

They don't seem to mind hotlinks.
June 15, 2010 07:13PM
clueless123
BootMii Download Page
Please link to this download page instead of re-hosting the Installer on your site

Link to the page, not the download. Hotlinking is linking direct to the actual download.
June 18, 2010 04:22AM
SifJar
clueless123
BootMii Download Page

Link to the page, not the download. Hotlinking is linking direct to the actual download.

Pas de Touché, as I am not "linking" at all. I am grabbing directly from a source, not providing a "link". Hence the Net.Webclient VB code I had mentioned earlier. Also, even if i was HOTlinking, I am not re-hosting the file.

But now the posts are falling out of the topic question.

What is the static URL to the file?
June 18, 2010 04:35AM
bg4545
Plus if people can't follow the simple directions to install homebrew, then they probably shouldn't be messing with their Wiis.

This is just an interactive displaying of the instructions, that looks very much like Microsoft Installer, only designed to grab the files, and display, step-by-step, how to install it. Everything on one page may cause one to lose track of where they were reading. In this situation, only the step they were reading appears, allowing for a much easier experience. And less link-searching, as the installer makes it autoMAGIC.

Also, it is faster than downloading each file (manually), extracting it (manually), moving it (manually), then repeating this for every other file. The installer allows for easy installation, as it does the hard work for you {download, extract, move} {download, extract, move} {download, extract, move} {download, extract, move} {download, extract, move} {download, extract, move}.

Then, the user inserts their Card, installs the HBC, DVDx (optionally), and BootMii (optionally). Then, they run HBC, and voilĂ , HBB is there, ready for action!
June 18, 2010 04:37AM
SifJar
You're wrong. They have specifically stated that they do not wish people to hotlink it.

When?
Where?
Who?
What?

Details, details!

Information!

Confirmation?!?!?!
June 18, 2010 01:27PM
Don't triple post. One is plenty.

Anyway, there isn't a static link to the URL, probably because they don't want people hotlinking the download, which IS what you are trying to do, whether you accept it or not.

And your reply to bg4545 doesn't answer his statement, which is perfectly valid.
June 18, 2010 04:59PM
As was explained here, there is no static download link because it would be useful to scammers.
June 19, 2010 02:56AM
SifJar
Don't triple post. One is plenty.

Anyway, there isn't a static link to the URL, probably because they don't want people hotlinking the download, which IS what you are trying to do, whether you accept it or not.

And your reply to bg4545 doesn't answer his statement, which is perfectly valid.

Sorry about the triple post, I just learned to place multiple quotes in a post.

Could you please define hotlinking? Then I can get a nice understanding of whether I am [hot|cold]linking.

I was not expressing invalidation of bg4545's post, and now that I read my own post, I realize that I did not answer to his statement, and as such I apologize. But, my application is designed to do a few of the steps that are in the installation instructions on WiiBrew (i.e. downloading, extracting), keeping the remaining instructions intact. This program is designed for those who do not want to install 7-Zip, WinZip, etc. . Other than that, the program just displays the remaining instructions onscreen.

Note: Instructions / the program itself could be a website, not 100% sure.

To Team Twiizers:
Just because you use a get-php method on the download link, that doesn't prevent one from parsing the link programmatically, which allows for the download to be carried out without problems. There is no possible way to completely remove programmatic downloads and "hotlinks".
June 19, 2010 03:17AM
Thanks All, I think the question has been solved.

However this topic can be closed, close it.
June 19, 2010 01:34PM
locked as requested.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.