Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question when upgrading bootmii

Posted by Axel 
Question when upgrading bootmii
August 15, 2010 03:34PM
I hope somebody from Team Twiizers can give me an accurate answer.

So far, whenever I update to a new version of bootmii I previously remove bootmii from boot2 and then I reinstall the newer version into it.

I was thinking that it might not be even needed to reinstall bootmii to boot2 every time, maybe I just need to update the SD files since perhaps all the improvements/fixes are there and the bootmii code stored in boot2 is not even modified.

I am a little worried everytime I flash my boot2 due to the obvious risks, but I can not find any information in the HackMii installer nor in the bootmii documentation of if I should reinstall bootmii to boot2 everytime a new version is released.

Could you please confirm if there is any advantage on reinstalling boot2 with every hackmii release, or is it always the same booting code?

Many thanks in advance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2010 11:17PM by Axel.
Re: Question when upgrading bootmii
August 18, 2010 09:44PM
You don't need to uninstall anything when updating it. That includes BootMii/IOS, HBC and BootMii/boot2.
The installer correctly detects a previous version, and substitutes it with the new version when updating, leaving no traces of the old version.
Updating is even recommended, since there's a slight chance that something goes wrong between uninstalling and reinstalling (I'm not aware of any case where that happened though).
When you update HBC, and the title id has changed between the versions, the installer automatically uninstalls the old title id after the new one is successfully installed.

We don't explicitly mention when the code for BootMii/boot2 changes, but you should update it when going from Installer <=0.6 to 0.7 or 0.8. There were no code changes between 0.7 and 0.8. The amount of the boot2 reinstalls don't really mention much either, I for one have installed it more than 100 times (check the "boot2 bootmap generation" in installer.log, this is increased by one on every install).

Basically you don't have to worry about anything, we already took care of all possible cases.
Re: Question when upgrading bootmii
August 18, 2010 10:55PM
Thank you very much dhewg! Your answers are really appreciated and do help a lot!

In the future I will do as you suggest and just update my installs instead of uninstall-reinstall.

It would be great if in the release notes of future versions you could mention explicitly if changes were made to boot2 code, else we don't need to reinstall it :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2010 12:56AM by Axel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login