Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

keys.bin specific to nand.bin?

Posted by shiftymccool 
keys.bin specific to nand.bin?
October 16, 2010 09:02AM
Hello all,

I did a bit of searching on Google and this forum, but couldn't really find anything so I thought I would ask. Is the keys.bin file specific to its nand.bin or could I use the keys.bin with any nand.bin. The problem is that when I did my first backup I failed to grab the keys.bin, so I was wondering if I could just generate a new one with a new backup and use that file with my old backup.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been asked and answered elsewhere.
Re: keys.bin specific to nand.bin?
October 16, 2010 04:47PM
The keys.bin, like the nand.bin, is specific to the wii from which the NAND was dumped. The keys are also appended to the end of the nand.bin file, so you do not need keys.bin to restore a NAND backup. However, if you want it anyway, just make another NAND backup, and an identical keys.bin file will be created.
October 16, 2010 05:41PM
Yes, there should be no problem if you try :)
October 16, 2010 09:21PM
The keys.bin is specific to the Wii console, just as the nand.bin is, but is NOT specific to the nand.bin it was generated along.

So if you have a nand.bin without a keys.bin and you generate a new keys.bin using the same console, you should have no problems restoring the nand.

I hope this helps,
October 18, 2010 03:57AM
Excellent, thanks guys!
May 07, 2012 10:20PM
Hi there,

As I'm typing, I'm having an odd feeling.
My Wii is semibricked [I can see first warnings, but no sys menu] (btw: never be scared to over-insist about the importance of being careful whenever you let your 'friends' play your Wii).
Well, I thought I had been clever enough to copy the nand.bin file on a secure HDD... but I missed keys.bin (Call me whatever you feel the need to) Is it too late now ? And is it why my Wii is not booting on BootMii, even thought I installed it on boot2 and I got an SD card in ?

See [cl.ly] for structure of SD card.
May 08, 2012 01:16AM
Keys.bin is specific to your wii, not your nand.bin. So you can make another dump now and take the keys.bin from it with the original nand.bin and it will work fine.

BootMii not showing up I'd more of a problem. Can't look at the image you posted right now, but make sure your SD card is definitely set up right. If you turn on the Wii without an SD card inserted, does the drive light flash twice? If not, you don't have bootmii as boot2 (anymore, at least).

EDIT: check the autoboot setting in bootmii.ini, make sure it's turned off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2012 01:18AM by SifJar.
May 08, 2012 01:06PM
If you have nand.bin, the keys.bin file is unimportant - the keys are added to the end of the NAND dump.
May 08, 2012 01:29PM
OK, ignore that part of my post then. (Never restored a NAND dump in BootMii, so I didn't know you don't need keys.bin)
May 08, 2012 05:14PM
Yeah, I believe only the first versions of BootMii created the key.bin separately.
May 08, 2012 05:36PM
bg4545
Yeah, I believe only the first versions of BootMii created the key.bin separately.

Nope, pretty sure that's wrong. The first versions didn't create a keys.bin, that was added later, to make it easier for people to get their keys, rather than having to take them out of the nand.bin with a hex editor or whatever. Makes tools like Betwiin much easier to use.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login