Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BootMii suddenly doesn't like my SD card

Posted by kobalobasileus 
BootMii suddenly doesn't like my SD card
May 24, 2011 03:42AM
I've been using an 8GB Kodak SDHC card for quite a while. Suddenly, as of today, BootMii boot2 freezes on startup when using this card (my other cards still work). The drive light flashes twice, but the Wii doesn't boot at all.

The only change I made was moving some Wii data off the NAND to the SDHC (it was DLC for FF4TAY) and downloading the updated version of Cave Story from the Shop.

Testing shows that deleting the entire 'private' directory of official Wii data revolves this issue.

Any idea if this is an issue with some kind of DRM that might be on those files I moved? Or possibly something to do with BootMii being able to handle cards that are 'only so full'? It's a very weird error.
Re: BootMii suddenly doesn't like my SD card
May 24, 2011 06:17AM
There could have been an error on the SD card that was fixed when you plugged it into the computer. Maybe your computer noticed this, and fixed it without telling you. Just an idea though.
May 24, 2011 06:30AM
I've narrowed the culprit down to 3 possibilities:

loc.bak (located in private\wii)
loc.dat (located in private\wii)
77463445 (the folder that contained the FF4TAY DLC, located in private\wii\title)
May 25, 2011 12:43AM
Have you run a disk checker on it, like scandisk or chkdsk? Bootmii doesn't care about those files, so it sounds like the filesystem is messed up somehow.
May 29, 2011 03:29AM
Yeah, I ran the scandisk utility and it said if fixed some errors, but the card still wouldn't work with BootMii. Only removing those three files fixed it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login