Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quake Live

Posted by TheManuel 
Quake Live
March 07, 2009 10:41PM
Would the Wii have enough power to run Quake Live?
www.quakelive.com

The Wikipedia entry metions there is a Linux version in development so the amount of code interpretation would be minimal.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Having this on the Wii with online enabled would be a great addition...
Quake Live
March 07, 2009 10:49PM
-- moved topic --
Re: Quake Live
March 08, 2009 11:45AM
Quake Live is based-off the Quake 3 engine, which is pretty old and lightweight anyway...
Since the engine it's open-source, a Wii homebrew port it's possible... But a WiiWare official port would be much better =)

Not too relevant, but I'm kinda impressed with the lag compensation of Quake Live. Even with a high ping (~250), you can have a nice play.
March 08, 2009 02:08PM
the wii needs a shooting game with 15+ players and FULL communication with other players and opponents (if its free for all), im hoping the conduit will do that.

however i think quake live will still be a fantastic homebrew release (if it were to be made)
March 16, 2009 06:21PM
the quake3 source is released? sorry, i have been living under a huge pile of rocks. why hasn`t it ported to wii already?is there somekind of a problem with it?
March 16, 2009 09:39PM
I believe all id software programs (games) are released open source. If a game is not ported to Wii yet, its probably because 1)No one is interested in porting it or 2)No one is talented enough to do the port or willing to step up to the challenge of doing it.
March 28, 2009 10:03PM
The major problem that is preventing Quake3 (and most 3D games) to be ported to the wii is the lack of a cross-platform 3D graphics API. There is gx.... it's [similar to OpenGL but not really. There is a gx to gl wrapper currently being worked on but it supports a minority of the gl functions that Quake3 uses. I know this because I was working on a wii port of Quake III; everything compiles fine but fails on linker errors due to OGL functions not supported. I'm not patient enough to learn gx due to the lack of documentation on gx. I guarantee you if someone has the patience to work on a opengl compatible graphics library (mesa3d-wii) we will all see a flood of 3D games including Quake III make their way to the wii...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2009 10:04PM by MrPeanut.
March 28, 2009 10:13PM
Hummm. No source yet and I doubt they will for this title any time soon as it's a fully online game where they rely on ads for revenue.

GL and GX are very different. I'd love to see a better GL wrapper but I doubt it will happen.
June 17, 2009 12:46AM
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here, but I was surfing around the Interwebs earlier today in search for some information about the Quake 3 Engine (or the id Tech 3 as they call it) and found a project with the goal to iron out bugs, clean up the source and add some graphical mumbo jumbo.

Link to ioquake3

I don't know if anyone has tried to use this as a foundation for an eventual Wii port of Quake 3 (or any game running the engine), but it would seem to be less work than screwing around with the original source. I'm no programmer though, so I could be wrong. :)
June 17, 2009 05:48AM
Yeah, porting ioquake3 or the original Quake 3 would be better than Quake Live.

Quake Live has blood, gibs and all heretic symbols of Quake 3 censored, which kinda takes the soul and identity of the whole game.

Also, it's just not as fun. Killing an opponent who just falls to the ground is not nearly as rewarding as a good old splattery mess of blood and body parts. ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 05:49AM by SpyroDragon.
June 17, 2009 08:02AM
Whatever happened to Q2rev?
June 17, 2009 12:40PM
Beegee7730
Whatever happened to Q2rev?
Nothing, be patient. Izhido is working his ass off.
June 17, 2009 05:54PM
About porting Q3 to Wii, the problem is not really about choosing between Live or ioquake3 (Live version is not open-source, anyway).
It's about porting, specially the GL part.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login