Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BOINC (Lame name: Voluntii)

Posted by Vistro.net 
BOINC (Lame name: Voluntii)
June 17, 2009 04:43AM
Sorry for the lame ass name... I'm sure there is a better way to put it.

But my Wii is left on all the time anyway (I forget to turn it off), and it shows no damage (it's meant for that kind of thing!), so maybe, can we write a BOINC client for Wii?

I understand that linux has been ported to Wii, so that might help run normal Linux BOINC applications/projects on the Wii.

For those of you that don't know what it is, BOINC allows you to put unused CPU cycles to work. You simply log into a project, and it downloads a small workunit. SETI and Rosetta@Home are the biggies. SETI looks for aliens by analyzing a radio, a big, big big radio dish, and looks for pulses. Rosetta analyzes and rebuilds biological proteins and finds the lowest energy one out of each set, in an effort to cure AIDS, Cancer, and other EPIC DEADLEH DIZEAZEZEH....

So... I want to donate my Wii to science. But I still want my Wii available for games. And homebrew. And news. And other things I do with a Wii.

We're losing badly to PS3 and XBox, which both have the capacity for Distributed Computing.
Re: BOINC (Lame name: Voluntii)
June 17, 2009 03:35PM
Well, the PS3 has a native client for Folding, and it's hardware is built for things like that.

I did not know, that there are any methods on the Xbox (360?) for those stuff.
Re: BOINC (Lame name: Voluntii)
June 17, 2009 04:57PM
Like I said, if there is a way to port Linux on there, BOINC can very easily be placed on there. The matter is tricking BOINC into thinking it's on a computer. Then the Linux core translates all of the instructions to the Wii Instruction Set. The big thing would be a easy GUI like BOINC already has (though I use advanced view on my computer).

We really don't NEED GPU support, CPU is just fine. I'm not even sure the Wii has a separate GPU.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login