Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

boot2 updater

Posted by teaguecl 
boot2 updater
October 02, 2009 08:02PM
Bushing was quoted as saying:
Bushing
Their boot2-updating code (ES_ImportBoot) is not well-tested; they’ve never updated boot2 on retail consoles before, and in our testing we discovered that it often fails to write out ECC data for the new version of boot2 that it writes. We should expect to see some number of bricked Wiis from this; the code is so buggy that we decided to write our own for the HackMii installer.

If this is true, wouldn't it be possible to make a program to safely update to boot2v4? Somehow download the update from N's servers, extract out the boot2 portion, and use a custom bootloader (like the one mentioned above) to safely flash the stock boot2v4. That way we can avoid the possible bricking caused by the buggy boot2 updating code in N's stock firmware. Feasible? Worth the effort?
Re: boot2 updater
October 02, 2009 08:07PM
The Buggy Boot2 update code was never meant to be used; that's why it's buggy. But the actual function is performed by IOS. The code says "IOS, update Boot2 with your pre-programmed method" but Team Twiizers says "IOS, you are feeling sleepy... when I click my fingers you will update Boot2 as I say so". At least, that's how I understand it. So use a method like Twiizers and you can update it. Or, just patch the TMD to say it's Boot2v4
Re: boot2 updater
October 02, 2009 08:07PM
Why would anyone bother to make a safe isntaller for an official update? There is no benefit to having the new boot2, it is only there to overwrite BootMii. Just install the update without that bit (use WADs of System Menu 4.2 and IOS70, installing IOS70 first.). Although, there is no reason to update at all. But still, if you do have the urge to update, just do it without updating boot2, by foregoing the official update in favour of a WAD update. But whatever you do, stay away from "safe updaters".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login