Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Drop Wii64, Port Project64 Instead

Posted by wildgoosespeeder 
Drop Wii64, Port Project64 Instead
August 10, 2009 12:22PM
I was browsing the available emulator apps and I came across Wii64. It is a port of Mupen64. Why in the world is Mupen64 even being ported instead of Project64? Project64 is by far the best N64 emulator out there. It has the least amount of errors compared to Mupen64.
Re: Drop Wii64, Port Project64 Instead
August 10, 2009 03:10PM
Even though Wii64 runs full speed?

Yeah, makes tons of sense to switch now.
August 10, 2009 06:19PM
I'm just saying why port Mupen64, a pathetic N64 emulator, and not Project64, the best N64 emulator out there?
August 10, 2009 07:09PM
wildgoosespeeder
I'm just saying why port Mupen64, a pathetic N64 emulator, and not Project64, the best N64 emulator out there?

Dude, are you overlooking the fact that Project 64 has high system requirements? The wii's not THAT powerful. On the other hand, Mupen is for multiple OSes, has lower requirements, and i believe that Project64 is a Windows only program. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2009 07:11PM by ThemadhatterZ.
August 10, 2009 07:16PM
wildgoosespeeder
Your comment is invalid.

Wii64 is playing games full speed thanks to a MIPS --> PPC dynamic recompiler written by Tehpola. Regardless of which emulator code base they use, it's the dynarec that's doing most of the work.

Mupen64 is also much smaller and easier to work with then Project64. Believe me when I say that all three of the developers carefully looked at the sources for every N64 emulator out there and the decision to use Mupen64 was unanimous.

And let me revert to my original statement again; Since Wii64 is playing games perfectly and at full speed, there is no reason to switch now.

(Granted, if you don't know anything about coding or how Wii64 works, this entire post is probably all in one ear and out the other for you)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2009 07:17PM by Arikado.
August 10, 2009 08:28PM
I brought this up on Project64's support forum (Project64 website) and they think otherwise:
Possible Project64 Port to The Homebrew Channel?
Yeah I know this is the Project64 support forum saying this but they know what they are talking about.

The Wii64 I downloaded is a piece of crap. On the Homebrew Browser app it is rated 2/5. Doesn't that say something?

With the Project64 source code, it can possibly be ported ThemadhatterZ. Also you really underestimate a great gaming console.

Mupen64 may be small and easy to work with, but how powerful is it? Not very powerful. The graphics are incorrect, framerate doesn't match PAL and NTSC standards, no GameShark code support.

Compared to the other N64 emulators I've tried, Project64 v1.6 has the least amount of errors when playing games.
August 11, 2009 03:49AM
Wii64 runs games at full speed, but it hasn't been released yet. The one you got was a very early alpha version.
August 11, 2009 08:39AM
I volunteer

I'm just saying why port Mupen64, a pathetic N64 emulator, and not Project64, the best N64 emulator out here?

With the Project64 source code, it can possibly be ported ThemadhatterZ. Also you really underestimate a great gaming console.

1/ Project 64 is not open source, at least not the good version you use
2/ Project 64 is specifically coded for PC platform and can not be straight ported on the Wii
3/ Mupen64 is far from being "pathetic" and starting a new port from scratch instead of fixing the few emulation errors would be stupid, especially considering how much work has been put in Wii64 so far.

Seriously, this has already been asked so many times: don't you think that if things were so obvious & easy, people would'nt have already think about it or started something ?

The Wii64 I downloaded is a piece of crap. On the Homebrew Browser app it is rated 2/5. Doesn't that say something?

as already said before, this version is a very old preview version, it doesn't reflect the current state of the emulator, I'd suggest you take some time reading the dev's blog here:

I brought this up on Project64's support forum (Project64 website) and they think otherwise:
Possible Project64 Port to The Homebrew Channel?
Yeah I know this is the Project64 support forum saying this but they know what they are talking about.

they know nothing about programming, and even less about Wii programming, those are emulator users speaking about PC emulators and how fast/good they perform on their computers...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2009 08:43AM by ekeeke.
August 12, 2009 06:12AM
ekeeke
1/ Project 64 is not open source, at least not the good version you use
2/ Project 64 is specifically coded for PC platform and can not be straight ported on the Wii
3/ Mupen64 is far from being "pathetic" and starting a new port from scratch instead of fixing the few emulation errors would be stupid, especially considering how much work has been put in Wii64 so far.

1. Well if they did release v1.6 source code, I wonder...
2. With a few tweaks to the source code, it can be ported.
3. PC Mupen64 pathetic yes, Wii64 unreleased version I'll see how far it's come when it's available for download.

they know nothing about programming, and even less about Wii programming, those are emulator users speaking about PC emulators and how fast/good they perform on their computers...

Don't judge a book by its cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2009 06:14AM by wildgoosespeeder.
August 12, 2009 02:59PM
wildgoosespeeder
Don't judge a book by its cover.
wildgoosespeeder
2. With a few tweaks to the source code, it can be ported

Well, I think we know enough about you to say that you don't know anything about coding ;-)
August 12, 2009 06:04PM
Let me guess: Project 64 is full of assembler.
If that is the case, the only option would be rewrite
August 13, 2009 01:04AM
Arikado
Well, I think we know enough about you to say that you don't know anything about coding ;-)

I may be a noob here but that doesn't mean I don't know coding! You guys keep asking me why port Project64 and I keep saying why not? You guys gave me excuses why to not port Project64.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2009 01:26AM by wildgoosespeeder.
August 13, 2009 10:19AM
You don't seem to understand: those are not "excuses", those are valid reasons why your initial request and statement are irrelevant and why it has still not been attempted.

If you knew what coding was, you wouldn't tell porting an emulator written in assembly just need "a few tweaks" because as said above, on the contrary, it would need a complete rewrite, which pretty gives you the reason why Mupen64 should not be "dropped" for Project64.

You also fail to understand that Mupen64 running on your PC would not be the same as the version running on your Wii, and that some graphic rendering plugins that appears buggy on your computer are going to be completely rewritten for the Wii. Still, implementing missing features and fixing some emulation bugs would still be LOT MORE easier and efficient than porting Project64 from scratch.

Now, if anyone want to try to port Project64, he can do it if he wants but requesting developpers to drop a one year (probably more) project to start everything back from scratch is not only direspectful for their already done work but also shows you don't really know what you are talking about ...

If you still don't understant that, I guess you are a lost case :-D
October 02, 2009 06:00AM
Perhaps I underestimated Wii64. Before they released Wii64 beta 1, I was a doubter. Now I like what they have done with it. Only problem, why are they using the source code from glN64 to emulate the graphics? The graphics are looking bad on some of the games. Use Glide64 because I have a pretty decent graphics card on my laptop and the graphics are nearly perfect! Since the Wii uses ATI graphics, it would be wise to use Glide64.
October 03, 2009 01:18AM
From what I've tested with Wii64 Beta 1, the games that play the best are those that are already available on Virtual Console. I see great potential in future releases of Wii64 because most of the games that I've tested run quite well. Some games still do not boot or have extreme graphical errors preventing game play, but I know that they will most likely be fixed with a later release of Wii64.
October 07, 2009 07:20AM
wildgoosespeeder
Perhaps I underestimated Wii64. Before they released Wii64 beta 1, I was a doubter. Now I like what they have done with it. Only problem, why are they using the source code from glN64 to emulate the graphics? The graphics are looking bad on some of the games. Use Glide64 because I have a pretty decent graphics card on my laptop and the graphics are nearly perfect! Since the Wii uses ATI graphics, it would be wise to use Glide64.

*twitch* *twitch* *twitch**twitch**twitch*
You don't seem to understand any of what we're telling you.
Ok, look at it like this.
Pretend your Wii is a pile of compost. (Bear with me here)
Now, if you have an Orange, lets say, and you throw it in the pile, its going to take about 3 to 4 weeks to decompose into the pile of compost.
Now, lets say that your 'top of the line' emulator plugin is a brick.
Throw that brick into the pile of compost, and tell me how long it takes to disintegrate.

Now, take that example, and replace the decomposition with programming, coding, and porting, the compost with your Wii, the Orange with the programmers custom plugins, and the brick with your Glide, or whatever (To lazy to look up the page for the name ... ._.)

NOW, Do you understand?

And, besides, if you were a doubter before, and now your not, then sit, and wait for them to release, it's just something that they haven't gotten around to doing yet. You act as if you know how to do their job better...

EDIT:
After reading up a but more, here's my response:
Ok, now I'm flaming furious.
WTF ARE YOUR THINKING, JESUS HOLY MOTHER OF *BLLLLLLLLEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP*!?!?!!??!?!?
The people at Project64, even told you that mupen64 already, defaultly, USES GLIDE64 FOR FLIPPING GFX.
._.
Gtfo much pl0xX?
Or are you just trying to flipping piss us all of?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2009 07:30AM by ckinrun.
October 07, 2009 08:28PM
The only reason I doubted Wii64 in the first place was because the alpha release I couldn't play N64 games at all. Then I looked at the details of Wii64, found out that it was a port of Mupen64, and I figured that the Mupen64 source code was to blame for the failure since there are some problems with Mupen64 source code compiled. The beta release of Wii64 is better because I am able to play N64 games. That's when I noticed the graphics were bad in some games. Looked even more at the details of Wii64 and right there was the reason, glN64. I suggested Glide64 because glN64 was from August 18, 2003 and Glide64 most recent release is August 20, 2009. The source code for the latest release of Glide64 is there. Tried both glN64 and Glide64 on Project64 and Glide64 has the correct graphics, glN64 plug-in behaves the same way as I saw in Wii64 beta. Plus the Mupen64 download that has Glide64 is an older version.

glN64
Glide64

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2009 08:31PM by wildgoosespeeder.
October 07, 2009 09:45PM
wildgoosespeeder
The only reason I doubted Wii64 in the first place was because the alpha release I couldn't play N64 games at all. Then I looked at the details of Wii64, found out that it was a port of Mupen64, and I figured that the Mupen64 source code was to blame for the failure since there are some problems with Mupen64 source code compiled. The beta release of Wii64 is better because I am able to play N64 games. That's when I noticed the graphics were bad in some games. Looked even more at the details of Wii64 and right there was the reason, glN64. I suggested Glide64 because glN64 was from August 18, 2003 and Glide64 most recent release is August 20, 2009. The source code for the latest release of Glide64 is there. Tried both glN64 and Glide64 on Project64 and Glide64 has the correct graphics, glN64 plug-in behaves the same way as I saw in Wii64 beta. Plus the Mupen64 download that has Glide64 is an older version.

glN64
Glide64

Ok, see tha'ts the kind of attitude and reasoning we've been trying to get out of you all along.
I feel willing to this this conversation remain where it has stopped, and move on.
But I'm sure their going to use something else like glide64, or make something even better, because after all look what they did with mupen64.
;)
October 09, 2009 01:27AM
I think they do need a better graphics plug-in because I saw a screenshot of Spider-Man 64 and it looked...awful. BTW, is there any way that a graphics modification plug-in, similar to Rice Video can be developed for Wii64? And no, I don't mean port it, I mean can you make a texture replacement feature or plug-in at all?

Here is Rice Video:
Rice Video thread on EmuTalk.net
October 09, 2009 02:59AM
Well Glide64 (Napalm WX release) has support for hi-res textures, the same way that Rice Video uses it.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.