Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

iPod and MPlayer CE?

Posted by loony636 
iPod and MPlayer CE?
November 06, 2009 05:19PM
I know this issue was raised a few times in the past, but I was looking for an opportunity to restart discussion.

Basically, I'm wondering if its possible to allow MPlayer to access the iPod and allow you to play music directly off it? The music files themselves are accessible; you just need to view hidden files and folders and you can access the files' tags.

Surely such functionality wouldn't be that hard to add to the player. A separate tab on the main menu with the ability to sort music by artist/album/title/genre, view playlists, etc. So, would it be possible? Would it also be possible to use the iTunes library to speed up song detection?
Re: iPod and MPlayer CE?
November 06, 2009 08:38PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that all songs downloaded through iTunes is either a locked mp3 format or an entirely new sound format created by apple, called .iTunes or something like that.

So, I think that support for that format would have to be added to MPlayer CE in order for iPod functionality.

Also, I highly doubt that the code for Apple's sound format is open source so I don't think this is a possibility.
November 06, 2009 10:09PM
You're wrong Grungekid.

Ipods can play a variety of sound files, many of which are already compatible with mplayer-ce. The real problem would be getting mplayer-ce to recognixe its connected through usb and to get it to do the right things with the ipod. It may be possible to overcome this problem...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2009 10:09PM by Arikado.
November 07, 2009 09:12AM
Arikado
You're wrong Grungekid.

Ipods can play a variety of sound files, many of which are already compatible with mplayer-ce.
Except Ogg Vorbis. Except for (probably) hacked ones. IIRC, the iPod doesn't appear as a removable drive, correct?
November 07, 2009 01:19PM
metroid_maniac
Arikado
You're wrong Grungekid.

Ipods can play a variety of sound files, many of which are already compatible with mplayer-ce.
Except Ogg Vorbis. Except for (probably) hacked ones. IIRC, the iPod doesn't appear as a removable drive, correct?

It can be set to with iTunes, but by default it does not.
November 24, 2009 10:17AM
If I'm not mistaken the wii communicates to the wii mote via blue tooth which means maybe the wii and mplayerce could communicate to a mobile phone to get music files.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2009 10:18AM by aidanharris.
November 25, 2009 05:40AM
aidanharris
If I'm not mistaken the wii communicates to the wii mote via blue tooth which means maybe the wii and mplayerce could communicate to a mobile phone to get music files.

geexbox supports conectivity with bluetooth enabled mobile phones
November 25, 2009 07:28PM
darklink
aidanharris

geexbox supports conectivity with bluetooth enabled mobile phones

for controlling the media player, not for transferring files.
November 26, 2009 04:39AM
could it be supported?
November 26, 2009 02:54PM
Using Bluetooth to stream/transfer would likely be impossible - it's such a slow protocol. You could use BT with an A2DP profile to essentially use the Wii as wireless speakers though....but your files wouldn't be listed on the Wii, just the phone.

As for iPods, that'd be a cool idea - not having one myself, I don't know how they work when you plug them into a computer (aside from a Mac). Can you configure it to show up as a drive? I seem to recall hearing that you needed to use a custom firmware for iPods to do that....anyway, if you could get it to show up as a drive (via an iPod setting) then you could theoretically just plug it into the Wii and use MPlayerCE as is to access your files - so long as you've got the USB thing installed and working in MplayerCE
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login