Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

USB Options

Posted by Kpk120790 
USB Options
January 17, 2010 10:44AM
So i was wondering do USB hubs work on the wii, or maybe someone could code that. Plus I think the use of an ipod connected to the wii would be pretty sick!
Re: USB Options
January 17, 2010 01:23PM
iPod can be used via Whiite Linux afaik.

As for USB hubs...I dunno, don't see why not.
January 17, 2010 03:46PM
I tried a generic plug and play hub that needs no drivers to work on a PC and it worked on the Wii but my good hub that has more slots, 2 powered ones, and requires a driver to work, did not work when put on the Wii so it depends on the hub used. As far as I can tell you have to use simple plug and play ones that have 4 ports (maybe more, mine had 4) to get it to work on the Wii. The only hang up is that items plugged into ports 1 and 2 and again 3 and 4 could not be used at the same time but 1 or 2 and 3 or 4 could. In other words only 2 would work at once on one usb port, but that could have just been unique to my hub. Just thought I would let you know my experience with a hub. Later.

Elmoreas

P.S. BTW make sure you unplug all usb devices before using HBB or it will hang and you will have to do a hard power down and reboot. It happened to me so I know. HBB tries to mount the USB devices and if any of them are not drives it hangs. The only thing that didnt hang was the cooling fan/stand.
January 17, 2010 04:19PM
Yeah if it needs a driver obviously it won't work, but you could probably get it to work in Wii Linux if you can find a compatible Linux driver for the hub.
January 17, 2010 07:36PM
Good call on the Wii Linux there are tons of drivers for it and if you buy a hub just make sure it supports linux, simply check the box before you buy it and you are good to go. Or just buy a plug and play one and then it doesnt matter but they are always limited to 4 ports so the max you could have is 8 ports on your Wii. 4 coming off of each port, for a total of 8, but who needs more than 8 usb ports on a Wii. I mean can someone seriously tell me a list of more than 8 usb items you would need to have hooked up at all times? The best I can do is cooling fan, keyboard, usb pen drive, mic, camera, Rockband Dongles (Split off to hold drums and bass or mic), Tony Hawk Ride Dongle, and I have nothing for the last slot and this is with 2 mics plugged in. I guess you could plug in a second pen drive or a USB mass storage device. Anyways I suggest you get 2 cheap generic plug and play 4 port hubs and some velcro tape and tape the velcro to each side of the Wii (use velcro tape cause it comes off easy and leaves no residue and is easily hidden so it keeps the sleek look of the Wii) and then Velcro tape the bottom of each hub and then mount one on each side of the Wii and plug them in and voila you have 8 ports and a still sleek looking Wii without a ton of clutter around your Wii. When I did mine like this I faced the ports front for easy access but that is up to you. The only downside is that you have to use the intercooler cooling fan that runs off the power cord cause there is no place to mount the fan on the port in back for a traditional USB cooling fan. But you can still use the normal USB cooling fan stand. Between the intercooler and the stand fan my Wii's thermostat never goes above 38C and therefore the LEDs stay Blue or Green. Oh its a modded case if you didn't figure that out. I have had good luck with the hubs other than the 1/2 and 3/4 issue I mentioned earlier but that can be avoided just by paying attention to what you plug into what ports. No big deal. Hope this helps. Talk to you later.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login