Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Windows 3.11 on Wii.

Posted by Kammesennin 
Windows 3.11 on Wii.
July 17, 2010 10:10PM
Just wondering... anybody ever tried running Windows for Workgroups 3.11 on a Wii before? I imagine an install may be possible through DOS-Box, just never attempted so far, and I don't have access to my 3.11 disks at the moment.
Re: Windows 3.11 on Wii.
July 17, 2010 11:33PM
It's possible, but installing under dos-box wii will take more than the average amount of time it usually takes on pc. Not to mention you may have to tweak settings on dos-box wii a little if you expect it to run full speed right out of the gate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2010 11:35PM by nightwishfan1.
July 22, 2010 01:13AM
Cool, I just see every so often a topic about wanting an OS like Windows and I thought, we already have DOS pretty much, so why not install Windows then? I figure 3.11 has some low requirements, but I suppose it would need to be changed a bit to support the Wii-mote as a mouse, unless DOS-Box - Wii has that option already. Just haven't had the time to mess with it yet.

Perhaps installing to SD from another PC would be ideal to limit the installation time?

Yeah DOS-Box - Wii would need some tweaking... so far I've gotten nothing to run correctly on it without spending some time tweaking settings. Really wanted to play my old Return to Zork on there, but can't get audio... but that's another issue entirely, thanks for the reply!

If anyone actually tests Windows 3.11 please let me know how it goes.
July 23, 2010 02:38AM
Kammesennin
Cool, I just see every so often a topic about wanting an OS like Windows and I thought, we already have DOS pretty much, so why not install Windows then? I figure 3.11 has some low requirements, but I suppose it would need to be changed a bit to support the Wii-mote as a mouse, unless DOS-Box - Wii has that option already. Just haven't had the time to mess with it yet.

Perhaps installing to SD from another PC would be ideal to limit the installation time?

Yeah DOS-Box - Wii would need some tweaking... so far I've gotten nothing to run correctly on it without spending some time tweaking settings. Really wanted to play my old Return to Zork on there, but can't get audio... but that's another issue entirely, thanks for the reply!

If anyone actually tests Windows 3.11 please let me know how it goes.

If you're implying running a pre-installed image then I dont know if that will necessarily work properly. I've tried a basic edition of windows 3.1, and installed it to my SD before running it on dos-box wii, and windows basically gave me a error about some of the system files not being there even though clearly they were. For example the games packages wouldnt run, nor did they show up on the start menu. Basically the start menu was void of the bundled programs with 3.1 for w/e reason. So using dos-box wii to install the files may be unavoidable hate to say.
July 24, 2010 01:04AM
Nightwishfan1, umm, what start menu? Didn't exist in Windows 3.11.

I could believe an install is necessary on the Wii anyway though... unfortunate, but that's okay if it will work after all.

Were you able to use the Wii-mote to manipulate the mouse movement inside of Windows?

Sorry haven't slept in some time now... can't think of more to type at the moment, complete brain freeze... my apologies.
July 24, 2010 04:28PM
Yeah the wiimote is useable as the mouse. It feels kinda ackward though since you're not using it like a traditional mouse on a flat surface. As for my start menu comment. That's my fault....You get so used to newer windows environments and start menu just gets blurted out sometimes. The games window basically had nothing and windows spat out an error about certain files relating to them missing. It was the same for the rest of the windows also.
July 24, 2010 08:30PM
Gotcha, sounds interesting. I think could get over not using a real mouse, but the errors have to go. Definitely gonna try to install this on the Wii when I can get at my disks, thanks for the info.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login