Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Request: Super Mario Bros X port.

Posted by nightwishfan1 
Request: Super Mario Bros X port.
November 18, 2010 02:28PM
Hey all. Just came across a pretty cool looking fan made Super Mario Bros game on pc called "Super Mario Bros X". You guys here support Super Mario War so I cant see what the problem will be with this request if any. Anyways the game is rather lengthy, and appears to be open source since the episodes for it were created by seemingly random users. Even a compatible graphics, and textures pack was made. Anyways I just thought it would be a cool thing to port for those who love Super Mario games.

[www.supermariobrothers.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2010 02:29PM by nightwishfan1.
Re: Request: Super Mario Bros X port.
November 18, 2010 06:34PM
[trekweb.org]

pretty much its a big resounding NO.
November 18, 2010 07:23PM
I cant see much of a reason they wouldnt, but oh well.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2010 07:33PM by nightwishfan1.
November 18, 2010 07:40PM
They seem pretty anal about keeping it closed source even though it's written in VB (BIG LOL) to quote the users "*sigh* Oh boy, another homebrew topic..." . (big middle finger to them).

I did not even download the game but in the past I've converted some old projects from VB5/6 to C, it's not that hard if you know both languages and if the VB game is well programmed (uses Windows API).

But sorry to say does not look like these guys are interested.
November 18, 2010 08:50PM
Well even if they got no interest they got no reason to close source it. Actually cant unless they think Nintendo wont eventually find it, and shut it down. And frankly being closed source when and if that happens wont help them, as Nintendo will look at it as though these people have claimed a stake on portions of their game code, intellectual properties, game characters, among other things that are surely borrowed from mario games as their own.

Besides the final poster of the topic has no clue what he's talking about. Opening the source, and giving it to strangers dangerous? It's dangerous for them keeping the source closed, cause nobody would want to give Nintendo the wrong impression if they catch it. They're messing with ESA protected material.

Anyways regardless if they are interested or not should have no bearing. Lot of the code in that game isnt theirs anyway. Never was.
November 18, 2010 09:53PM
Please, please, please do research (even if it's just google) before posting port requests. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2010 09:53PM by Arikado.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.