Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Share SD on the Network (MountMii/ShareMii!)

Posted by Pleng 
Share SD on the Network (MountMii/ShareMii!)
June 14, 2009 12:41PM
It would be nice to have a little app that shares the contents of the Wiis SD card on the network. That way data could be transferred to the SD card and config files edited directly, without having to constantly remove/re-insert the SD card.
Re: Share SD on the Network (MountMii/ShareMii!)
June 14, 2009 01:40PM
Doesn't ftpii do something like that?
June 15, 2009 12:23AM
yeah but FTP is slower than LAN ...

FTP transmits at the Upload Speed of your ISP Internet Connection
Network transmits at the Speed of the Connection , Wired Speed Transfer (Up\Down) at 100mbps (12.5 MB in a Second) or WiFi (my case Wireless G) 54mbps (about 7MB in a second)

So using FTPii to copy Quake for wii and Quake's Data files you could wait up to 25-45 Minutes!!! But a network should take about less than 5 minutes ...
---
very good suggestion :) btw, this would be amazing since i use a small SD (the really tiny ones you put in your cell phone) card adapter which never works on my machine :(
June 15, 2009 05:13PM
speewave
yeah but FTP is slower than LAN ...

FTP transmits at the Upload Speed of your ISP Internet Connection

That is absolutely wrong.
FTP transmits as fast as the network permits.
FTP is transmitted via LAN, as would every other network filetranfer to the Wii be.

I believe you got some terms mixed up.

How do you even get the idea, that FTP is throtteled down to the upload speed of your connection with the ISP?
June 16, 2009 08:52PM
your terms are mixed up...

LAN is "Local" Area Network
FTP does not reside on any LAN Connection (even though its at your house using your wifi, it is not a Local Network Connection)

FTP is not Transmitted by LAN, FTP is Upload is just like you Uploading a file to a webserver... FTP is transmitted by The Internet
---------------

LAN Transfer is like if you set up a network and copied a file from your desktop computer to your laptop on the same network
FTP Transfer is like if you Upload a File to someplace like Filefront or an e-mail attachment...
----

How do you even get the idea, that FTP is throtteled down to the upload speed of your connection with the ISP?
Since FTP Transfer is sent over the Internet, Not Local Connection, its sent over your connections upload speed, if it was LAN it would transfer over at 100mbps or 54mbps (Ethernet or Wireless G respectivley)
---
[en.wikipedia.org]
[en.wikipedia.org]
June 16, 2009 11:18PM
No, you are still very much confused, speewave.
FTP is a protocol, like HTTP, NTP etc.
A LAN (whether it be Ethernet or Wifi) is a just a type of connection between two or more computers/devices. An ADSL connection to the internet is another type of connection, same with cable, or Fibre Optic.

To put it very bluntly, protocols like FTP (in the application layer) do not give a rat's ass about the type of connection. The other layers in the TCP/IP stack take care of that.
I can run a FTP server on my local network, and stop my router connecting to the internet. Your logic would suggest that the FTP server is inaccessible by any other devices on the network, which isn't true. Same goes for a web server.
Network devices do not mind meld into one big mutated mess of a connection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2009 11:18PM by PhoenixTank.
June 17, 2009 12:55AM
In addition to what PhoenixTank said:

speewave
LAN Transfer is like if you set up a network and copied a file from your desktop computer to your laptop on the same network
And which protocoll may be used to copy files in a LAN Transfer? Could it be FTP?
There is a whole alphabet of protocolls suitable for file transfer, and FTP is one of them.
In the Windows world CIFS/SMB is most commonly used though, and many Wii homebrew projects support that protocoll.

speewave
FTP Transfer is like if you Upload a File to someplace like Filefront or an e-mail attachment...
Neither of those uses FTP. E-mails are usually sent via SMTP or IMAP. Webmail applications or Filefront use HTTP.

speewave
Since FTP Transfer is sent over the Internet, Not Local Connection
[en.wikipedia.org]
How do you get the idea, that FTP does not work over a local connection?
If you would have read the first sentence in the wiki article:

File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a standard network protocol used to exchange and manipulate files over an Internet Protocol computer network, such as the Internet.
Almost every network we use in our everyday life uses the Internet Protocol (IP). The internet itself is just one example.
Every protocol I mentioned above uses IP.

If you look at the right side of the wiki article, you will see a list of layers, and protocols that are part of that layer.
The idea is, that one protocol does not have to care about the protocols in the layers below it.

FTP is transmitted in TCP packages, which is transmitted in IP packages.
IP is transmitted via a lot of ways: Ethernet (LAN, W-LAN), DSL, PPP (dial-up), ....

Some Wii homebrew uses FTP

As Phoenix Tank said, FTP does not care about the transport media you use (LAN, W-LAN, serial connection, whatever),
as long as TCP/IP is available.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login