Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged: Internet Browser Request Thread

Posted by Arikado 
Re: new web browser and others
June 26, 2009 11:52PM
Darkness
Firefox it's open-source community is allot bigger! I think we should use Gecko, more support I think. This is just an idea, so... You know...

We are not going to port Gecko. Gecko is way too complicated and uses tons of libraries which are not ported to the Wii. We are starting with something that is simpler, and does not require any extra libraries. Right now, scanff and I are probably going to tweak tinyxml to render html.
Re: new web browser and others
June 27, 2009 02:29PM
jsmaster
Darkness
Firefox it's open-source community is allot bigger! I think we should use Gecko, more support I think. This is just an idea, so... You know...

We are not going to port Gecko. Gecko is way too complicated and uses tons of libraries which are not ported to the Wii. We are starting with something that is simpler, and does not require any extra libraries. Right now, scanff and I are probably going to tweak tinyxml to render html.
I'd say that was a sound starting point. Give me a shout if you need any help from a web developer. Beyond testing, I'm not entirely sure what help I could be, but I thought I'd throw my hat in, anyway.
Re: Mega Merged: Internet Browser Request Thread
June 27, 2009 06:08PM
I'll be glad to be one of your beta testers report bugs the sort. How do I Join?

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 05:00AM by Gamewizard71.
June 27, 2009 07:19PM
I think we're fine using google SVN. Everything is already set up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2009 07:19PM by scanff.
June 27, 2009 07:22PM
Anyone else who wants to help with JSmasters project you can find the link on page 2 of this topic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 05:02AM by Gamewizard71.
June 27, 2009 07:23PM

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 04:57AM by Gamewizard71.
June 27, 2009 09:58PM
Gamewizard71
Anyone else who wants to help with the project just register at the link in my last post. We could use testers and suggestions just go to the website.
Thank You
I got the website and everything, but once I register how do I identify myself as a member of your group? Also, I'd like to be a beta tester, as I have very little experience coding.
June 27, 2009 10:10PM
demo.redmine.org
Welcome to the Redmine demo server.
This is a test system for Redmine users to try out Redmine and it's new features. All the data is here is temporary test data, so fell free to modify it as you'd like.
Err, why the eff are you suggesting that they use a project management system on a demo server, Gamewizard71?
June 28, 2009 03:38AM
Sounds kinda fishy to me.
June 28, 2009 04:54AM
Yeah, Google SVN is all we need. It is used by thousands of others and works just fine. We have no need for another project hosting site.
June 28, 2009 05:03AM
How do I join?
I'll be your tester.
June 28, 2009 05:11AM
I'm not too concerned about testers. Wait until we have something done, and then maybe you can test.
June 28, 2009 08:12PM
I'd help you too if you want :)
June 29, 2009 10:27AM
Oh cool, I was planning on working on a homebrew web browser but I got caught up in other projects. I'd just like to point out that a good starting point/example would be Bunjalloo, a DS homebrew web browser, since it's also working from a close-to-the-metal standpoint and with a homebrew SDK rather than any official SDK with an OS behind it. If you guys need help I *might* be able to pitch in, but I'm not going to have access to my Wii for about 6 weeks after this week so I figured I'd rather just work on PC projects rather than make a false start on a Wii one. Best of luck to you all though.
June 30, 2009 06:34AM
I know I keep saying this, but I would definitely love to beta test. Please PM me if you have anything we can beta test.
June 30, 2009 05:30PM
iofthestorm
I love it when people go "Why hasn't anyone tried to port X to the Wii?" Usually, the answer is because most of these programs don't run in a void, but they depend on the operating system to do a lot of things for them. Any porting effort would likely end up rewriting large ports of an OS, which would not be fun. Porting isn't some magic process where you just give the right compiler commands and get a working program. Really, something to this effect should be stickied somewhere, in addition to the "No warez" and such.

I agree, programming is NOT MAGIC.

vekuta
i propose a new web browser, firefox if possible opera is alright but it would be nice if you can actually download things off the web like flash player and mmorpgs and such and just have them saved either on the wii its self or on a sd card another thing instead of having the wii remote as the mouse make it so you can use the nunchuck i think it would be abit easier :) hope you consider all of this it would be nice also if its its possible make it so we can type without useing the keyboard screen but if not thats aight with me:) just a suggestion

Believe it or not, starting from scratch would be much faster and less hacky. MMORPG is a no right off the bat. This isn't magic, remember. We don't nearly have enough space on the wii memory to hold maplestory or WoW, which is really barely related to web browser. sure, maybe downloading them is possible... but you wouldn't be able to run them, since it would require writing basically an entire operating system that emulates another operating system. I don't have a high enough magic level yet for that, and I think no one else on earth does either :/... at least, not enough to make it fit on the wii.

Gamewizard71
Okay, here's the run down with this browser:
1. Flash 10 or @least 9 is definitely possible.
2. Java is out of the question because you cant run 2 things at once like this and would have integrate it into the browser and plus it would make the browser slow because of javas size 2nd it would a waste of time just to play a couple of MMORPGs.
3. We are talking crappy RAM on wii no way can you download onto wii unless an ext. hard drive involved but an sd card is very absolute to download stuff to. Examp. wii shop channel and homebrew browser stream things using internet onto SD. Plus wii RAM is unreliable, Nintendo's next update could overwrite it or patch it like Tw Hck.

1. Your definition of definitely possible must be weird. 8 is fully supported by Gnash, meaning not even at least 9.
2. What MMORPGs run off Java besides RuneScape?!
3. Yes and no, you had it until the last part. It is reliable, the users are not, so, yeah, I guess you were also a little right at that end...

Darkness
Why don't we use the source of Firefox as base? So we don't have to create our own engine; that would save many hours of coding. Mostly porting things.
Source Code Firefox

Porting is like saying "Lets make a human from scratch". We could do it, after a few years of work... yes, years... and we know how you all want these things two weeks ago, so it would be much faster if we started from scratch, believe it or not.

jsmaster
scanff
jsmaster
If this is actually going to go somewhere, I would like to help develop it. Firefox would be good for help, but starting from a simpler, open-source browser seems like the way to go. If anyone else is interested in actually developing this, maybe we could start a small team.

If you set up a google SVN then I'll try and contribute when I have time.

http://code.google.com/p/wiibrowse/

If you give me your google username, I'll add you to the project owners.

scanff
just my email address ... scanff@yahoo.com

Don't think you can add a yahoo e-mail to a list of google accounts. Just make a gmail account, yahoo used to be #1, but now it just sucks -_-... +le sigh+...

iofthestorm
Oh cool, I was planning on working on a homebrew web browser but I got caught up in other projects. I'd just like to point out that a good starting point/example would be Bunjalloo, a DS homebrew web browser, since it's also working from a close-to-the-metal standpoint and with a homebrew SDK rather than any official SDK with an OS behind it. If you guys need help I *might* be able to pitch in, but I'm not going to have access to my Wii for about 6 weeks after this week so I figured I'd rather just work on PC projects rather than make a false start on a Wii one. Best of luck to you all though.

Good place to start from, especially if it complete. If you know about DS homebrew, it is just a dead corpse now. Any signs of bloodflow is actually just caused by the magnetic pull of the earth slowly passing through the iron carried by the blood cells. The scene is deader than death. ANYWHO, that means that no future updates for it will come out, and if it isn't done, then you guys have to finish it. ;) lol. Also, not to mention, you would already have to port it, but since it deals with low-level stuff, writing a wrapper for how it works shouldn't be too hard.
June 30, 2009 06:54PM
CloneDeath
iofthestorm

Good place to start from, especially if it complete. If you know about DS homebrew, it is just a dead corpse now. Any signs of bloodflow is actually just caused by the magnetic pull of the earth slowly passing through the iron carried by the blood cells. The scene is deader than death.
And this coming from someone who's also convinced that the Wii Homebrew scene is dead? "Not dying. Dead." Hmmm...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 06:54PM by Arikado.
June 30, 2009 07:06PM
The DS homebrew scene is dead. not the Wii. I wrote a whole thing about any trace of blood movement being caused because of the earth's magnetic field or something for the DS. The Wii is dieing, this coming from how much activity has died down from a year ago.

Anyhow, I like making games for the Wii, and since I am bored and unable to work on the current project right now, I decided to float around the forums, which I have never done before, since in general I hate forums (Bad experiences) but ehh~
June 30, 2009 07:09PM

Don't think you can add a yahoo e-mail to a list of google accounts. Just make a gmail account, yahoo used to be #1, but now it just sucks -_-... +le sigh+...

huh? All of my google projects are tied to my yahoo email.
June 30, 2009 07:15PM
Really? Dang, google supprised me again. I had no clue you could do that @_@ +Curses everyone who peer pressured me into making a gmail account+ I still have a yahoo e-mail, but it mostly sits there collecting spam and all my "we sent a confirmation e-mail" stuff.

My fault, and thanks scanff for pointing that out, and kudos to google for allowing that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login