Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged: Internet Browser Request Thread

Posted by Arikado 
Re: Mega Merged: Internet Browser Request Thread
August 15, 2009 06:24AM
hunterm
You could possiably get a small version of X ported to Wii, make a custom made version of Firefox, or some other Linux web browser, and just edit the net and wifi workings.

Ahh, but with X comes a WM, and then we'd have to port a WM as well, but before that we'd have to decide on a WM to port. Figuring out which one is the tricky part, due to hardware limitations of the Wii (Fluxbox perhaps?)
August 18, 2009 07:17AM
Just Do A Internet Template In VB6, Export The Source, And Try To Do A Build
August 18, 2009 01:57PM
calthephenom
Just Do A Internet Template In VB6, Export The Source, And Try To Do A Build
dont be a douchebag, but how the hell are we gonna port a rendering engine which has no source and is developed for the worst web browser in existance

BTW, nearly got HTTP1.1 fully supported, just a few non-existant bugs pissing me off
August 19, 2009 06:53AM
Eh... I just bought mine. Maybe hacking the browser itself instead of making a new one would be better?
August 19, 2009 07:53PM
Jazeps
Eh... I just bought mine. Maybe hacking the browser itself instead of making a new one would be better?

who could be bothered, and if we do its not homebrew
August 19, 2009 07:57PM
And I think the only way to distribute it would be a WAD, i.e. illegal.

Unless there could be someway to patch the already installed files on the NAND...but still, it'd mean people would still have to buy the browser, which defeats the whole point of making a homebrew (and therefore free) one.
August 19, 2009 08:16PM
ummm the internet browser isnt free? i got mine from the wii shop a long time ago and it was free. Is the BigN just recently charging for it?
August 19, 2009 08:33PM
TopGun96
ummm the internet browser isnt free? i got mine from the wii shop a long time ago and it was free. Is the BigN just recently charging for it?

The trial version is free, i think its supposed to stop working when you do something
August 19, 2009 08:35PM
nope ive had it for years and it is still working just fine
August 19, 2009 08:46PM
yeah, the trial was initially free, then they released it proper and you had to pay, but people who had the free one could upgrade for free.
August 19, 2009 10:48PM
The full internet channelwas free, but now they're charging for it..
August 19, 2009 10:54PM
hmmmmm..... thats just like nintendo...
August 20, 2009 03:22AM
TopGun96

It was free for a period of time so that everybody who had the beta version (which was free) could update for free. They said as soon as they released the internet channel that it would be free until a specific date. I see no problem with this, unlike many people
August 23, 2009 05:41PM
The internet channel was free, until a certain date, which I forgot.
It was anounced way before (like in the beginning), that it would be free until then.

(No bad sheme involved)
August 24, 2009 05:07PM
Howcome they still don't have a trial version for free, and then pay for the full blown version?
August 24, 2009 05:12PM
Because the trial version wasnt a limited version or anything - it was the full thing, but it was still in testing, so could be buggy. It was basically a public beta. And the reward for doing it was to get all future updates to the channel for free.
August 24, 2009 10:08PM
I don't know this for a fact, but on one of the media center apps that you can download for HBC, it connects to the internet to show like certain youtube videos right?
August 24, 2009 10:11PM
Yeah, MPlayer CE can do that, or I think there is an app called MPlayer YouTube, but MPlayer CE has more features, and just incoporates the YouTube as well. Why do you ask?
August 24, 2009 10:58PM
Well I was wondering, if it's possible to easily connect to youtube and watch videos via the mplayer, how much harder would it be to make a browser that can navigate the web. Yes, you might not be able to play games endlessly and watch all videos, but you could still read some text.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2009 01:51AM by musicalmatt.
August 24, 2009 11:31PM
Well, with a video from YouTube, you dont need to render a webpage, have javascript running, display images, perhaps flash etc. there is a lot more to a web browser than a YouTube viewer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login