Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged: Internet Browser Request Thread

Posted by Arikado 
Re: Mega Merged: Internet Browser Request Thread
August 25, 2009 06:41PM
I just went through some of the coding for the channel trying to find a website that the wii downloads the youtube videos from. I don't know if there's a way to change where it downloads, but when I went to the website on PC, it was just a directory with links to .mp4 downloads. If you knew how to change the website where it downloads, could you potentially watch videos from different websites?
August 29, 2009 01:21PM
musicalmatt
I just went through some of the coding for the channel trying to find a website that the wii downloads the youtube videos from. I don't know if there's a way to change where it downloads, but when I went to the website on PC, it was just a directory with links to .mp4 downloads. If you knew how to change the website where it downloads, could you potentially watch videos from different websites?
potentially, yes, in practice unlikely. As far as i am aware i am the only person with a HTTP1.1 compliant library, and if any site uses chunk encoding the download will fail and the app will crash for some unknown reason. Also, some sites have copy protection and use RMTP streams instead of HTTP to stream the video as it is harder to tap and save the video (its also slower as you cant go back and forth through the video without rebuffering). Youtube was also being really generous by storing the mp4 version of each video, i dont think all sites would do that
September 02, 2009 04:02AM
Internet Channel is now free.

That means you can just patch the existing Internet Channel with much less hassle distributing it ^_^
September 02, 2009 05:04PM
Yes, but the internet channel still sucks.

It sucks less, but still sicks none the less.
September 02, 2009 05:24PM
Well, you've got to admit that it is technically better than what the coders here have got so far ^_^
September 02, 2009 05:50PM
Obviously you fail at reading subversion repository changelogs ;-)
September 03, 2009 01:07PM
Zeke50100
Well, you've got to admit that it is technically better than what the coders here have got so far ^_^
Nintendo have access to development kits for flash and source of opera, we are coding from scratch and we have a renderer and something that is HTTP 1.1 compliant. Adobe would never give out dev kits of flash to homebrew developers and neither would opera (whoever makes opera that is)
A OPEN SOURCE WEB BROWSER IN C!!!
September 05, 2009 04:12AM
i just found out about amaya, its one of the first web browser, could somebody try a build off the source?
here
Re: A OPEN SOURCE WEB BROWSER IN C!!!
September 05, 2009 04:19AM
Why not just download the new internet channel? Its free....
September 05, 2009 04:21AM
homebrew things are better, this could be improved easily, just source is needed to start with
September 05, 2009 04:33AM
calthephenom
homebrew things are better, this could be improved easily, just source is needed to start with
Okay, then....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2009 04:33AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
September 05, 2009 04:34AM
i mean for implementation into WiiConnect
September 05, 2009 04:35AM
calthephenom
i mean for implementation into WiiConnect
Oh, I see. I guess that makes sense. Why don't you try contacting jsmaster to see if he would be willing to implement it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2009 04:36AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
September 05, 2009 04:50AM
September 05, 2009 12:59PM
whats the point, i have nearly finished a front end for the browser and porting this would probably take longer as the only thing we could port would be the parser as the renderer and networking would have to be made from scratch anyway. Btw i had a look at this last year and it uses wxwidgets so i would believe (dont know if i am right) that the gui would have to be made from scratch and the networking would have to be tampered with greatly. We would have to remake the renderer as well anyways since it probably uses opengl.
September 07, 2009 12:00AM
Zeke50100

Yes very true but if everyone said "Let's not do it because there's something else" software would never improve. Also for me it's a challenge and a great way to expand my skills.
September 07, 2009 12:57AM
I didn't mean that the work should stop. Sorry for the confusion. I think your work is awesome.
September 07, 2009 02:48AM
Does anyone know why Nintendo finally set the internet channel free again? also I just downloaded the free opera browser now and i think it's pretty good. yea it is kind of slow, but it can get the job done. if a homebrew internet browser is made, im just curious what kind of advantages it would have over the opera one now.
September 07, 2009 06:18AM
musicalmatt
Does anyone know why Nintendo finally set the internet channel free again? also I just downloaded the free opera browser now and i think it's pretty good. yea it is kind of slow, but it can get the job done. if a homebrew internet browser is made, im just curious what kind of advantages it would have over the opera one now.

Cool, did not know it's free now. I've not updated since summer 2008 and I've been out of touch over the last few weeks.

Maybe it's an attempt to get people to update their systems. I know the PSP did something similar to encourage people to upgrade and the upgrade knocked out the homebrew hacks.
September 07, 2009 04:05PM
I'm just gonna say its free because you couldnt pay me to use it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login