Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged: Internet Browser Request Thread

Posted by Arikado 
Re: Mega Merged: Internet Browser Request Thread
February 02, 2010 12:23AM
But the flash the Internet channel has is inefficient, slow and sometimes crashes the browser. Download system might be nice for getting apps, but then they would have to be unzipped, then moved to the right place. If you wanted it for other stuff it would work much better on the computer because it would be faster and more work to download it on the wii, place the sd card into the computer then download it. If it was for smaller stuff like pictures then I could see the use in that.
February 04, 2010 06:53PM
What if the browser could open certain files in it like in most modern browsers can open .doc, .txt, .xml, .rtf, .html, .htm and a lot more files!
February 04, 2010 08:18PM
well it sort of has to be able to open .htm/.html seeing as all websites are that file type (they are the same file type, just different extension. no other difference afaik).

.txt would be fairly easy to implement. I know of NO browser that can open .doc or .rtf as they are (i.e. you need plugins or something to view them). However, you could probably open them in Google Docs, and that should work easily enough on the Wii browser. .xml, again, should be fairly easy to implement, its just plain text files, afaik
February 16, 2010 05:37AM
cactusjack901
hunterm
You could possiably get a small version of X ported to Wii, make a custom made version of Firefox, or some other Linux web browser, and just edit the net and wifi workings.

Ahh, but with X comes a WM, and then we'd have to port a WM as well, but before that we'd have to decide on a WM to port. Figuring out which one is the tricky part, due to hardware limitations of the Wii (Fluxbox perhaps?)

You don't actually need a wm. You can run apps without one.
February 16, 2010 05:46AM
a good open-src base for a flash player would probably be swfdec, better compatibility.
May 13, 2010 10:43PM
hunterm
a good open-src base for a flash player would probably be swfdec, better compatibility.
open source makes very little difference, it just makes it easier, if some of the resources required cannot be ported to the wii then it is pointless.

e.g. libCurl
May 14, 2010 06:26PM
how is it going with this project i was wondering if i could be any assistance i can do a little bit of everything so just pm here or at jtmario22@yahoo.com if you want me to help
May 17, 2010 08:50PM
dillo is a C++ web browser that supports power pc maybe you could port it.
May 18, 2010 08:21PM
it should have java for playing runescape and java games. with full flash player. support of downloading/download files to the usb/sd card. even if it is a torrent file. jar. izo. it should support it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2010 08:28PM by jonteben123.
May 18, 2010 09:09PM
jonteben123
it should have java for playing runescape and java games. with full flash player. support of downloading/download files to the usb/sd card. even if it is a torrent file. jar. izo. it should support it.
Excuse me, but who are you to say what it should have?
May 19, 2010 12:18PM
bg4545
jonteben123
Excuse me, but who are you to say what it should have?
Guess he's building it? :-)
May 20, 2010 01:27AM
it will never be able to support java runtime because its too big.
May 20, 2010 01:29AM
i think dillo would be a good web browser port since its C++ and can run on power pc
May 20, 2010 01:30AM
and its open source!
May 20, 2010 07:24PM
Heard of the edit button?
May 20, 2010 07:40PM
SifJar

No he's stupid and also created several accounts to get around a posting ban in this forum. But he's now been blocked :)
May 31, 2010 08:48PM
scanff
SifJar

No he's stupid and also created several accounts to get around a posting ban in this forum. But he's now been blocked :)
he may be stupid but he suggested a browser which has already been ported to a console
June 01, 2010 09:27PM
If anyone is going to make a browser for the wii if I'd suggest making one similar to the skyfire web browser for mobile. You get the full web experience. Either it could be developed like a service similar to skyfire or be developed in away so that one end is pu on the wii and one end (the working end0 is put on pc.
July 02, 2010 07:01AM
is anyone actually developing this or are we just talking about making one?
July 02, 2010 07:13AM
okay to make things easier. theres a NDS web browser by Quirkysoft called Bunjalloo. How about porting that first then moving on from there because what we're doing now is getting us nowhere. :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login