Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ideas for downgrading/patching IOSes

Posted by SifJar 
Ideas for downgrading/patching IOSes
June 14, 2009 07:01PM
Hi there. I was thinking recently how to get trucha enabled IOSes on 4.0. I had a few ideas, besides the obvious, use WiiSCU on 3.2 to trucha patch all IOSes and then update. My ideas are more for "virgin" 4.0 Wiis, or people on 3.3/3.4 upgrading to 4.0 (which they may as well, they lose nothing and gain some official stuff), or 3.2 upgrading to 4.0 (which is less of a good idea, but if this works, they may as well), to give them the ability to use trucha bug homebrew.
Here are my ideas.

1) For virgin 4.0 Wiis - Use FS Toolbox to change the version number of the currently installed IOS 36 to a lower version number (not sure exactly how this is done, but I believe it's possible), then download the latest IOS 36 with NUS Downloader. Then patch the trucha bug into this IOS WAD (I think there's a PC app for this, am I right?). Then install it with wadimport. If you need to have more trucha enabled IOSes, you could do the same version changing trick with FS Toolbox, then just install them with WiiSCU.

2)For 3.3/3.4 Wiis - As above, only leaving out the FS Toolbox stuff, which wouldn't be necessary as these versions have a lower version of IOS 36 anyway I believe. Then use WiiSCU to install all the other IOSes with trucha bug, without the need to change version with FS Toolbox

3)For 3.2 Wiis - Simply use FS Toolbox to change the version of the installed IOS 36 to the latest version, so the update wont overwrite it. Or download the latest IOS 36 WAD with NUS Downloader and patch in trucha bug and install with wadimport. Then install all the IOSes that WiiSCU can through WiiSCU with trucha bug. Then update, and all (or most) IOSes should have trucha bug.

Can anyone confirm for me if these methods would work, or are useful? BTW, if you intend to try any of them, I advise you have BootMii installed as boot2 and take a NAND backup first.

If these methods work, you should be able to use preloader or, if you wish, use AnyRegionChanger to downgrade to 3.2 (Although, that'd be no use to people on 3.2 upgrading to 4.0, but it could be of use to others, but then again, if they have trucha bug enabled IOSes on 4.0, there's not much point), or use other homebrew requiring trucha bug.

If anyone can expland on any of these methods in more detail please do (such as telling us what PC app can trucha patch an IOS WAD, if any can, and telling us how to use FS Toolbox to change the version of IOS reported to the wii). Also, if this is illegal, please tell me and delete the thread. Thanks for reading.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2009 07:02PM by SifJar.
Re: Ideas for downgrading/patching IOSes
June 14, 2009 07:11PM
I'm not sure if that would work for 4.0 Wiis...
But this does (and I'm pretty sure it's legal)

Edit: fixed link

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2009 07:14PM by bg4545.
June 14, 2009 07:14PM
well your link isn't working. but why wouldn't it work on 4.0 Wiis? And what about the other methods? Would they work? Because if so, they could be a nice alternative to updating via Nintendo. This way we could keep trucha bug on most IOSes with out using Waninkoko's epic fail updater.

EDIT: That is illegal afaik. Or at least highly frowned upon here and very easy to brick with from what I've heard.What's more, that's a guide for downgrading to 3.2, not for keeping trucha bug on 4.0.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2009 07:17PM by SifJar.
June 14, 2009 07:17PM
I think FS toolbox needs a trucha IOS to replace stuff on the wii's nand.. So you wouldn't be able to make IOS 36 a lower version
June 14, 2009 07:19PM
No, that one isn't illegal (well I guess technicaly it has the common-key.bin, but that's posted on hackmii) and it's about downgrading IOSs to trucha enabled ones

And you can stay on 4.0, you don't have to downgrade to 3.2

Edit2: stupid iPod touch auto correct..,

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2009 07:23PM by bg4545.
June 14, 2009 07:41PM
SifJar
EDIT: That is illegal afaik. Or at least highly frowned upon here and very easy to brick with from what I've heard.What's more, that's a guide for downgrading to 3.2, not for keeping trucha bug on 4.0.
AFAIK, it's not illegal. I didn't read the whole guide, but downgrading just IOS 35 will give you one IOS (35) with the trucha bug. If I was someone doing this, I would then install a patched IOS 60 and be done.
June 14, 2009 07:54PM
Yeah, it's got a lot of wanky's apps to downgrade all IOSs up to IOS36, but you don't really need all of that
June 14, 2009 08:07PM
Right, once you have one patched IOS you're good to go. Most people install more though so that in the event of an Nintendo update killing some, some might survive.
June 15, 2009 11:40AM
I've read this topic and i still have questions aboit 4.0 virgin wii!

So, is it possible to use FS Toolbox to modify the IOS36 version number or do we nned a trucha ios first?

If we need a trucha ios, we can use the ios35 downgrader. But how does it work? I've made some search about modifying the ios version number with CMDVDX34 and i haven't found anything (i've found guides but no source code of the cmdvdx34 or other ios35 downgrader)
June 15, 2009 06:56PM
I dont think you need to modify the version number with CMDVDX34. It'll do the downgrade. But in answer to the other guys, once that IOS is downgraded, how would you go about downgrading IOS 36, which is apparantly needed for preloader? Would you then be able to follow the rest of my method to get trucha on IOS 36, and other IOSes?
June 15, 2009 07:58PM
I thought any (known) way to install a modified IOS would require a "Trucha" bug?
June 17, 2009 01:29PM
To get the trucha bug into an IOS, you need an IOS with trucha bug when using conventional methods.

On LU64+ or the so-called "unsoftmoddable"(name on GBAfail) Wiis you can't downgrade most of the IOS. If you ignore this, and just do it the downgraded IOS becomes unusable. In case of IOS35 that is mostly used by downgrade guides, you can fix this. If you would downgrade the IOS used by the system menu, you would have a nice full-brick. If you want trucha, ONLY use methods that work on all Wiis, or tell that it's not possible on LU64+ in a way that even the last idiot understands that he should not do it.

For what do you want the trucha bug anyways? The only IOS with trucha bug you need for homebrew is IOS36, only pirates need trucha in the other IOS.

Since the pirates proved that the old IOS16 with trucha bug works on LU64+ Wiis, a downgrader for IOS15 might work. With a downgraded IOS15, you could install a patched IOS clone from a IOS36 version that works on LU64+ Wiis to any IOS slot. And then use that IOS to patch trucha into IOS36. But this would require to know how the dvdx installer downgrades IOS35.
June 18, 2009 10:23AM
I'm ok with you, I only need the IOS36 with the trucha bug, but i don't know how to install it (i want to create my own IOS36 downgrader).

I've tried to install it directly, but i can't. So i've search a way to do that and i didn't find any source code!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login