Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More PC Ports?

Posted by Yoghurt 
More PC Ports?
June 30, 2009 04:35PM
Hey, i thought that, Quake and Quake 2 are running on wii, how bout more PC Ports?
Like MDK, Turok1+2, Warcraft 1+2, Starcraft, Diablo, Forsaken, KKND...
All those games should run on Wii :)

im no coder, cant code, but im always open for some MDK (maybe add texture filtering?) or turok 2...
Re: More PC Ports?
June 30, 2009 06:51PM
LOL. Every game you want ported isn't open source. In other words, that makes them impossible to port.
June 30, 2009 07:03PM
Yoghurt
Hey, i thought that, Quake and Quake 2 are running on wii, how bout more PC Ports?

Like MDK, Turok1+2, Warcraft 1+2, Starcraft, Diablo, Forsaken, KKND...
All those games should run on Wii :)

Unlike Quake 1 and 2, the other games you emtion are not open source.
So you can't port them, only try a remake.
July 03, 2009 10:30AM
i see the problem. but isnt it possible to just emulate them and adapt the controls?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2009 10:31AM by Yoghurt.
July 04, 2009 04:45PM
seeing as the games are designed to run on windows you'd have to emulate/port windows to run them... which isn't really possible
July 20, 2009 12:50PM
shawabawa
seeing as the games are designed to run on windows you'd have to emulate/port windows to run them... which isn't really possible

In fact, it might be possible. There's wine out there. And darwine for the ppc macs. Another thing is if the HUGE amount of work it would take would be worth the pain, as i suspect that even if wine got somewhat ported to wii, game performance would be very, very poor.

So it could be possible, but not realistic.
July 20, 2009 06:16PM
Nope because Wine Is Not an Emulator. Just porting Wine wouldn't be enough. You could run it on Linux, but I doubt it would be usable.
July 22, 2009 05:50AM
Can any of the games from this list List of Open Source Games be ported to Wii without any legal issues? Or does there need t be a particular licence type for us to do it?

Looking at this list theres a lot of potential there for some good wii gaming
July 22, 2009 07:21AM
It depends on the lincences. The majority of the games on that list can be ported (at least from a legal standpoint) to the Wii, as long as you are willing to keep it open source.

Of course some games might perform poor on the Wii, because they run slow or are designed for another interface.
Or they may be so dependent on other software, that porting them to the Wii would be way more difficult than a remake.

It would also be very helpfull, if the game is well understood by the software engineer(s), or very well documented, or at least still active.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2009 07:26AM by daniel_c_w.
July 22, 2009 12:25PM
counterstrike might be interesting, i think portal is also open source so that would be pretty cool on the wii
July 22, 2009 12:45PM
I highly doubt portal is open source. The closest we'll get on the Wii is probably Still Alive Wii or Portii
July 22, 2009 03:56PM
jsmaster
Nope because Wine Is Not an Emulator. Just porting Wine wouldn't be enough. You could run it on Linux, but I doubt it would be usable.
Actually you couldn't, for the same reason. Windows only runs on x86/x64, therefore Wine only runs on said as well. You'd need an x86 emulator to run Linux to run Wine to run Windows. At that point you may as well skip the middle steps. It's still going to be painfully slow.
July 22, 2009 04:44PM
HyperHacker
jsmaster
Actually you couldn't, for the same reason. Windows only runs on x86/x64, therefore Wine only runs on said as well. You'd need an x86 emulator to run Linux to run Wine to run Windows. At that point you may as well skip the middle steps. It's still going to be painfully slow.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that too. Anyway dosbox is the closest thing we have to a "Windows" emulator, and it is pretty slow to begin with.
July 22, 2009 04:46PM
HyperHacker
You'd need an x86 emulator to run Linux to run Wine to run Windows.
Wine doesnt run windows, it runs windows programs.
July 22, 2009 05:07PM
SifJar
HyperHacker
You'd need an x86 emulator to run Linux to run Wine to run Windows.
Wine doesnt run windows, it runs windows programs.
I think that's what he meant, just a typo..
July 22, 2009 09:51PM
SteelSLasher
counterstrike might be interesting, i think portal is also open source so that would be pretty cool on the wii

Both games are not open source, or "free" in any form.
The only way would be a remake.
In the case of Counter Strike, at least the map format is well known, and the engine is rather smiilar to an open sorce engine (quake)

EDIT: seplling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2009 10:28PM by daniel_c_w.
August 02, 2009 09:59PM
what if we use a program like psp-disp to control our pc from our wiis, that would be the Ultimate app...
August 02, 2009 10:28PM
Well, that is possible afaik using web VNC clients, while having a VNC server running on the computer. But its probably crap and limited. As far as I know, the Wii isn't really capable of proper VNC (see the thread I made recently in Ideas and Requests about a Video streaming app, someone more knowledgeble than me posted there)
August 02, 2009 10:30PM
If we are talking WindowsPCs and do not wnat to stream videos or games, we should create a client for the Remote Assistance Protocoll.

For Linux an X-Server would do the trick.
August 02, 2009 10:35PM
Seeing as how this thread is about porting PC games, I guess he was implying we could stream games. ;)

EDIT: Just found out that XWhiite Linux contains a VNC Client and also a Microsoft Remote Desktop client. Maybe one of those could be useful? Perhaps not for games, but for controlling computer from Wii.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2009 10:43PM by SifJar.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login