Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BootMii Recovery App

Posted by SifJar 
BootMii Recovery App
July 03, 2009 05:21PM
I was thinking - would it be possible for someone to make an app using MINI that could be launched from BootMii that could download and install NUS content? For example, it could download and install the 3.2 System Menu and all required IOS, or another System Menu version and all it's IOS. Or it could manually download only a few IOS. This way, people could recover from bricks even without a NAND dump, which could save bushing a load of hassle re-progamming NAND dumps, and would mean people could recover easier, without having to worry about taking a NAND dump first (although a NAND dump would still be the ideal way to recover). It would also allow people to downgrade from any System Menu to 3.2 safely and legally, because it wouldn't require a trucha IOS, because it uses MINI. What do you think? Is it possible?
Re: BootMii Recovery App
July 03, 2009 06:50PM
I was thinking this on the way home from work 10 minutes ago. Maybe we really should form a team.
July 07, 2009 10:40AM
I like the idea - it should definitely be possible to do this. However, to be independent on the installet IOS's you will either have to implement your own network stack or wait for MINI to include this. (And I think it will be a while before MINI has it..)
July 07, 2009 03:31PM
Hmmm... I think part of this recovery system should a checker of some sort to make sure the NAND is really screwed and also not let it install anything less then 3.4 (Piracy prevention system).
July 07, 2009 04:03PM
Well, actually I disagree. While I agree that we should discourage piracy, I would rather like to be able to go to 3.2. And it's possible to go to 3.2 from 3.4 anyway, if someone wants to pirate they will, and they dont even need to downgrade afaik, just do some other stuff. So while it would give them an extra step, I think it'd be pointless, and I'd like an app that can downgrade to 3.2 regardless of firmware. It could also change region. And for the reasons that it could be a safe legal downgrader, and that it could be a safe legal region changer, I don't think it should check if NAND is screwed first.
July 10, 2009 12:04AM
There would have to be a check i think to reload your current Version. That would probably be the most logical way, that way other files are not missing that get overlooked and such.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login