Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Imap email client or browser?

Posted by kieranmullen 
Imap email client or browser?
July 09, 2009 11:24PM
Since someone did not have the forsight to link Opera's mailto function to nintendos built in email client, I am looking for other solutions for my fathers wii. All the guy wants to do is browse craigslist and type a response on the bt wiikeyboard I got him.

Has anyone worked on any of these? (I am currently searching)
Re: Imap email client or browser?
July 11, 2009 08:04AM
What about webmail?

Also, WiiConnect will have POP3 and SMTP support (will be released in a day or so, the gui just needs polished, and it needs to be tested), though IMAP is later on the list.
July 11, 2009 05:22PM
The wii already has smtp on the system menu screen, so its clearly capable.
July 12, 2009 09:22PM
Webmail? Pain in the arse logging in all the time.

You would think that IMAP would be higher on the list? No storage required.

:-)

jsmaster
What about webmail?

Also, WiiConnect will have POP3 and SMTP support (will be released in a day or so, the gui just needs polished, and it needs to be tested), though IMAP is later on the list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2009 09:22PM by kieranmullen.
July 12, 2009 11:44PM
POP3 doesn't require storage as well.
July 14, 2009 12:04AM
Wrong. Pop3 retrieves the email. SMTP sends the mail from client to server or server to server. Pop3 downloads emails within your specifications (last X days worth of messages, last X messages or messages under X size) Imap downloads the headers only you specify (last X days etc) into temporary memory, and downloads messages as you view them.

Think of it this way. When you delete a message using POP3, you are deleting it off your local machine. When you delete a mesage using IMAP you are deleting it right off the server.

[en.wikipedia.org]

daniel_c_w
July 14, 2009 12:40AM
kieranmullen
Wrong. Pop3 retrieves the email. SMTP sends the mail from client to server or server to server. Pop3 downloads emails within your specifications (last X days worth of messages, last X messages or messages under X size) Imap downloads the headers only you specify (last X days etc) into temporary memory, and downloads messages as you view them.

Think of it this way. When you delete a message using POP3, you are deleting it off your local machine. When you delete a mesage using IMAP you are deleting it right off the server.

[en.wikipedia.org]

daniel_c_w

Wrong. POP3 does not require you to delete downloaded messages from the server, you can just leave them on. Then when you want to delete a message, you could just delete it from the server, that way it won't redownload it.
July 14, 2009 12:59AM
kieranmullen
Wrong. Pop3 retrieves the email.(...) Pop3 downloads emails within your specifications (last X days worth of messages, last X messages or messages under X size) Imap downloads the headers only you specify (last X days etc) into temporary memory, and downloads messages as you view them.

POP3 and IMAP are both protocols that allow you to download Emails. Nobody ever said, they have to be stored anywhere.
Both contain ways to only read parts of messages (envelope/headers), download messages, delete messages.
IMAP can do a lot more, of course.

But having non-temporary storage is neither theoretically nor practically required for POP3.

p.s.: you haven't lived until you did POP3 or SMTP by hand :D
July 14, 2009 04:20AM
daniel_c_w
p.s.: you haven't lived until you did POP3 or SMTP by hand :D

Haha that's ABSOLUTELY right! That's why IMAP is later on the list. ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2009 04:20AM by jsmaster.
September 25, 2010 06:05PM
Anyway going back someone should really finish that wiiconnect project I would but i dont know a single thing about C++ and a project like that is not the place to start :(
September 25, 2010 09:14PM
This topic is well over a year old. Please don't bring back dead topics unless you have something very much worth saying.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.