Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Teletext support

Posted by henke37 
Re: Teletext support
July 22, 2009 02:28AM
Canada. They've had it as long as I remember. I often liked to have it on just so I didn't miss a joke due to crappy TV speakers, background noise, etc. Nearly every channel and even a fair number of ads have it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2009 02:29AM by HyperHacker.
July 22, 2009 02:34AM
They have Teletext in Canada? I always thought, it was more of a european thing

Or are you talking about Closed Captioning?
July 22, 2009 12:23PM
Darkness
SteelSLasher
just to point out, most tvs wont support teletext in a few years anyway since teletext is being dropped by tv networks and tvs themselves
Source? Almost all my TV-channel's have Teletext, and all new TV's in store have teletext support and I think they won't drop it for a long time.

Digital switchover in uk warranted a drop of teletext by bbc itv channel 4 & 5

also, teletext is partially stored on the tv itself and some newer (as in just finished in the factory new not selling new) tvs have actually removed the piece of hardware to do with teletext

Also teletext is not at all interactive, all you can do is sift through data so yeah if it was going to be used then statistics is probably the best
July 22, 2009 04:02PM
daniel_c_w
Or are you talking about Closed Captioning?
That's all they ever use it for, but I believe it's the same or similar standard. The TV I had (which AFAIK had no support for PAL) had some menu options to choose between caption 1, caption 2, and text, and the manual described "text" being news reports, weather, etc that would cover most of the screen. I never saw anything but caption 1 in use.
July 22, 2009 09:55PM
SteelSLasher
Digital switchover in uk warranted a drop of teletext by bbc

When?
As Doctor Who's "Planet Of The Dead" aired (eastern), I still could see teletext on BBC1 (via DVB-S on Astra 23 at degrees)
(I didn't check last week, when children of earth aired, and usually my dish points at Astra 19)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2009 09:55PM by daniel_c_w.
July 23, 2009 08:16PM
the digital switchover date varies from region to region, in the southwest its next year sometime (i got a leaflet for it but i lost it)

bbc have confirmed to cancel teletext and i remember similar comments from other networks
July 24, 2009 06:47PM
@ daniel_c_w
I live in The Netherlands. (and more than 90% has cable, of that 90% about 50% has digital TV)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login