Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[Request]Comic Book reader-port?

Posted by Vyse 
[Request]Comic Book reader-port?
July 12, 2009 09:29PM
Would it be possible to port Comic Book DS to work on the Wii, or make another program that would/could read comics. I've been waiting for an app like this, but I haven't seen any talk about one at all. I don't remember exactly how Comic Book DS worked, as my DSX-card died a while ago, but I do know it worked well. If the DS can, then I suppose the Wii is at least powerful enough to do something with it?

If any of you super-coders are bored, I'd like to request for an app like this to be produced... if it's not too much trouble.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2009 01:01PM by Vyse.
Re: [Question]Comic Book DS-port?
July 13, 2009 04:54AM
No one would port it, rather start a Wii comic book reader from scratch. This would be pretty simple to make (simply display images, and have navigation).
Re: [Question]Comic Book DS-port?
July 14, 2009 01:01PM
Alrighty then... I guess this is a formal request for an app like that then! ^^
Re: [Request]Comic Book reader-port?
July 15, 2009 11:14PM
Sounds easy if it's images. Does anyone know if there's a spec. for this format anywhere? If it's simple I'll bash it out for you.
July 16, 2009 05:07AM
scanff
Sounds easy if it's images. Does anyone know if there's a spec. for this format anywhere? If it's simple I'll bash it out for you.
After looking around, I can't find a certain format. All the comics I came across were simple images (example: http://www.bonom.lu/visuels/Gags/gag1.png). But shouldn't you be working on WiiBrowse? :-p
July 16, 2009 07:36AM
jsmaster
scanff
After looking around, I can't find a certain format. All the comics I came across were simple images (example: http://www.bonom.lu/visuels/Gags/gag1.png). But shouldn't you be working on WiiBrowse? :-p

I'm working on a lot of stuff :P
July 16, 2009 04:34PM
Most comics are downloaded in .cbr (renamed .rar), or .cbz (renamed .zip), no? I don't know if there's any set format you'll get the pictures in, but after a quick unrar'ing of two different issues, both contained jpeg's.

Thanks for the interest guys, I hope it won't be too much trouble!
July 16, 2009 06:12PM
Hi Vyse,

Is it possibly for you to email me a small .cbz and .cbr so I can test. Or if you know of any download links? Email = scanff at yahoo.com
July 17, 2009 10:22PM
scanff
Hi Vyse,

Is it possibly for you to email me a small .cbz and .cbr so I can test. Or if you know of any download links? Email = scanff at yahoo.com

nevermind I found a free achieve of books - [goldenagecomics.co.uk]
July 18, 2009 09:11PM
It is more or less just collections of images. Nothing fancy, standard archive formats or real directories, standard picture formats and nothing special with text, the text is burned into the pictures. Oh, and the pictures is one file per page. That's all there is to the format.
July 24, 2009 12:54AM
Yeah, pretty much. The format is simple enough, yet there's few homebrew apps on any system able to run it. As far as I know, the DS is the only hb-platform where I had a comic book reader-app, so if you can make it work... that would be totally awesome!
July 24, 2009 01:25AM
Vyse
Yeah, pretty much. The format is simple enough, yet there's few homebrew apps on any system able to run it. As far as I know, the DS is the only hb-platform where I had a comic book reader-app, so if you can make it work... that would be totally awesome!

Yes it's pretty simple. I have a cbz reader some-what working. The rar v3 format is not as open as the zip, it should be ok to use as we are decoding and I think only the encoder is not free to use.
August 03, 2009 04:55PM
Sounds awesome! I'm really looking forward to testing it out.
August 10, 2009 08:24PM
any update on this app? This would be great.
August 10, 2009 08:32PM
Hells_Guardian
any update on this app? This would be great.

Sorry not really any progress since my last post.
August 10, 2009 08:39PM
fair enough I have noted many projects you are involved in and It's not likely to be a top priority. Thanks though. I hope to see something soon. :)
September 13, 2009 11:52PM
Anything new on this one?
September 14, 2009 07:47AM
Sorry I've not had anytime. If someone else would like to take over I'll give you what I have.
September 14, 2009 06:55PM
Couldn't you just use the photo channel to read your comics?
February 19, 2010 05:01PM
I just want to give this topic a bump up. I would really enjoy this app. Alas, I have zero coding experience.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login