Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Music Cd player app (Here is why)

Posted by ReKon 
Music Cd player app (Here is why)
July 15, 2009 06:05PM
I want to use a CD lens cleaner for my Wii. but I don't want to buy the 15$ disc that is near impossible to find that is made by Nintendo. I mean... is this kinda dumb for me to ask. I know a lot of people don't care about CD players anymore but MPlayer doesn't support CD audio cleaners.
Re: Music Cd player app (Here is why)
July 15, 2009 06:16PM
The Wii cant play CDs. The hardware is incapable of it. No amount of hacking/homebrewing will ever change that.
July 15, 2009 06:23PM
For a lens cleaner, the only thing needed would be to control the lens' position and spin the disc.
Is that possible?
July 15, 2009 07:31PM
The Wii wouldn't be able to recognize that the disc is inserted.

So in theory, you would have to tell the program when to start and stop spinning the disc, and also tell it when to eject. That should be possible, but all of the necessary code needed to do so isn't currently part of devkitPRO. In other words, someone would need to do a bit of hacking on their own to figure out how to get it to all work.

However, I'm under the impression that there is some data on these CD lens cleaner discs? It wouldn't make sense to just stick a disc in and then magically have a clean disc drive (unless maybe there's something physically on the disc?). (You'd be better off cleaning it yourself with cotton balls and rubbing alcohol I think)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2009 07:38PM by Arikado.
July 15, 2009 07:42PM
Are there not DVD versions of these discs? They should surely work in MPlayer CE with DVDx?
July 15, 2009 07:43PM
/\ Agreed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2009 07:44PM by Arikado.
July 15, 2009 09:39PM
well i can not seem to find a dvd version of it. but there is a official lens cleaner out there but it is impossible to find.
July 15, 2009 11:58PM
Possibly will not happen because of dvd drive's firmware... here is why...

A cleaning kit works like this on a CD accepting drives

1. Device accept the disc because it's a proper video disc
2. It's special in that it has some video where the brush is located, lens is being directed to that part of the disc, and as video is being displayed, lens is cleaned...

In wii, you won't get to the step 2 which can be accomplished by video playing applications actually... Dvd drive's firmware will simply reject the disc and will simply return an error to the calling program...

A dvd cleaning kit (non nintendo) works because...
1. A video dvd reading/recognition function left in the dvd drive's firmware and it can be simply enabled changing only the title meta data for the calling title... hence dvdx
2. There are dvd playing apps for the wii...

I tested one such dvd cleaning kit, it worked indeed... but actually it didn't have any effect on the dreaded read errors...
Another thing to note for such errors is the weak lens power(don't know if this is the actual term) which is adjustable... But haven't seen someone permanently happy using one or both of these solutions...

ps: I don't mean it impossible, maybe nintendo left us a CD-ROM reading function there in the drive firmware still to exploit...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2009 12:00AM by I.R.on.
July 20, 2009 12:14AM
No, they didn't. Reading CDs requires a different laser. It's a physical difference between the components.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login