Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii mode GC hypervisor/emu

Posted by robotmenace 
Re: Wii mode GC hypervisor/emu
August 12, 2009 05:04AM
Arikado
So, sorta like a program that launches a gamecube game but remaps gamecube controls to Wii Controls and the GC Memory Card to an SD Card?

Basically, would it be possible to use Wii controls for a GC game? That would be sweet... I know they did something similar with I think Mario Power Tennis but that was on its own disc, so they would have modified the code for it. They made it a Wii game from a GC game. Would this be possible though? You could play Spider-Man or Spider-Man 2 and interact more with the game, like web-swing with your own arms or punch people with an actual punching motion or at least use the Wiimote and Nunchuk controls and not have to buy a GC controller.
August 12, 2009 07:33PM
That's possible, but it's difficult. MINI does not have an OHCI driver, so that would need written if we're going to replace MINI. I guess it may be possible to re-add OHCI1 to MIOS, but you'd may need to write process/module code for it... (But you could just inject the sections of OHCI1 module into MIOS, and have MIOS create a thread for OHCI1 before the idle loop.) And as bushing said earlier, you'd need some IPC system. And again you'd need to write a Broadway patching system somehow. Either way, someone would need to figure out what disables USB and Wiimotes. I'm fairly certain that the code executed from main,(not kernel thread) does not disable Wiimotes. I patched and disabled almost all of that code, and Wiimotes were still disabled. Whatever is disabling Wiimotes is executed from the kernel thread.(I haven't fully patched everything executed there GC related, tedious trial and error.)
August 16, 2009 04:07AM
I'm not a coder, but okay... What you're saying is that you can't even access the Wiimotes from homebrew code?
August 16, 2009 04:19AM
Hman360
I'm not a coder, but okay... What you're saying is that you can't even access the Wiimotes from homebrew code?

No, because... well.. we kinda do that on a regular basis. What he's saying is that MINI, the subsystem that Bootmii runs off of can't access the wiimote at the current time. We would also have to patch mIOS (the IOS that gamecube mode runs off of) if we wanted to add Wiimote support there
August 24, 2009 05:57PM
Now that BootMii beta 3 allows full hardware access on the ppc, i wonder if running GC in wii mode is actually possible. The GC only has a ppc and we have full hardware access there now. So if somebody would imitate everything that MIOS, BC and boot2 do when booting a GC in a mini project, we would theoreticllay have full hardware access, and a 2nd processor(the arm) to play with. But i guess it's 1. complicated to do, and 2. the hardware needs some registers to be set to certain values that shutdown the wii exclusive hardware, while allowing GC games to access the hardware.
August 25, 2009 12:37AM
BC/boot2, I think those just down clock the clock speed, and eventually load MIOS.(Dunno if those set some GC mode flag somewhere...) Imitating everything MIOS does will not give us full hardware access. That will only disable hardware. Whether you access the hw on Broadway or Starlet doesn't make any difference. A proper MIOS replacement would be a modification of MINI, setting the register bit for mirroring GC DI registers, and bootstrapping a homebrew Broadway GC disc loader.
August 25, 2009 08:07AM
You do not need a MIOS replacement. The GC does not have an arm processor, when the Wii plays GC games, the arm may be involved in the changes that allow GC to be played, but after that it does nothing. Also since BootMii beta 3, mini projects have full hardware access on the ppc.
August 25, 2009 06:20PM
Beta 3 didn't change anything for MINI hw access for boot2, perhaps only the IOS version. Yes, one could add the necessary code to MINI to poke the GC DI mirror register bit, and have the option to either install the modified MINI to either MIOS, or just launch it from a MINI app.(Or just have the Bootmii menu run it directly from the SD browser.)(An option of just running an modified MINI would be an option with whatever solution I figure out, if ever, rather than just installing to MIOS. But you'd need to figure out how to down clock the Broadway.)
September 06, 2009 11:39PM
cactusjack901
No, because... well.. we kinda do that on a regular basis. What he's saying is that MINI, the subsystem that Bootmii runs off of can't access the wiimote at the current time. We would also have to patch mIOS (the IOS that gamecube mode runs off of) if we wanted to add Wiimote support there

No, I'm not saying to do this through bootmii. I mean can you do this at all?
September 07, 2009 12:13AM
You mean patching MIOS? That's difficult. Bushing said before that "you could add the ohci1 module to MIOS, but you'd have to figure out an IPC system". Then you'd also need the sdi module and an IOS sdi FAT implementation for loading patches, ect. And, figure out how ohci1 is disabled to patch out ohci1 disabling. Very difficult.
September 18, 2009 11:19AM
is a custom mIOS (cmIOS lol) possible?
September 18, 2009 02:46PM
Yes. It is what many pirates use to pirate GC games.
September 18, 2009 10:52PM
Modifying the MIOS would be possible, but would prefer a GC loader in form of a mini project. But i think we are still even missing the info if gamecube games would work in wii mode if everything that is required to run GC games is done.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login