Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quake Wii: Arena

Posted by Kammesennin 
Quake Wii: Arena
July 24, 2009 03:17PM
The Wii could certainly handle Quake III could it not? I realize we haven't even attempted Quake 2 as of yet, but wouldn't it be cool to bring such an awesome game to the Wii controller? Maybe somebody has already tried this and I'm just unaware, but the only thing I can find relating Quake III to the Wii is a video on youtube of some guy playing on his PC using some odd gyro controller, but not a Wiimote.

I figure... somebody got Quake on the Wii which uses more or less the same file structure as Quake 2 and 3, so why not? Only thing I don't know about it is... is the Wii emulating Quake, or simply playing it? If it emulates then I'm not so sure it'll do Quake III so well, but if not, I don't see why it couldn't get 50-70fps. The game is around half a gig though, so maybe it's not the ideal thing for most people to put on their cards. I certainly know I would though, I love that game way too much!
Re: Quake Wii: Arena
July 24, 2009 03:21PM
Well, is it open source? If so it may be possible, but I'm not sure if it is. And the Wii isn't emulating Quake, the engine has been ported to the Wii.
July 24, 2009 03:34PM
It seems as if to be. On Id Software's tech site they mention a free GPL and source code.
Glad to hear Quake engine was ported rather than emulated :) God, I would love to see this game come to the Wii!

EDIT: Maybe networking could be done as well? Some mod support, etc...
EDIT 2: Downloaded source, 5.45MB. Not sure if it matters or not, but I found a makefile in there. Some pretty cool stuff in there.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2009 03:49PM by Kammesennin.
July 24, 2009 05:42PM
There will always be a makefile with any source. Tells the compiler what it needs to use and stuff. Its not something thats related specifically to Wii Homebrew. But if its open source there is a chance it could work. Its a reasonably old game, so the Wii should be able to handle it. Now you just need to persuade a developer to port it ;). Unless you are a programmer?
July 24, 2009 05:56PM
Before Wiibrew I never used a make file
July 24, 2009 05:59PM
Huh, I thought it was in all programs' source. There has always been a makefile in any source I download...although I don't download much, because it is completely pointless me doing so, seeing as I can't program. But I have still downloaded a few programs' source and found makefiles, I assumed it was always there...
July 24, 2009 11:17PM
Well... I've not done a whole lot with C++ (I've done Graal script work before, which is similar), but I do know VB, and QBasic (lol). Are the ports of say... Quake and Doom open source that anybody knows? If I could get a look at the code to get an idea how they were done, perhaps I could figure out a way to get Quake 3 on the Wii.
July 25, 2009 12:06AM
Yes Quake and Doom are open source (the code .. not the content).

My concern with Quake 3 would be memory, I'm sure the textures are higher quality than the ID TECH 1,2 engines. Before you attempt a port make sure the Wii would have enough memory.

Also all of the GL would need to be ported to GX.
July 25, 2009 12:42AM
scanff

Yes, can someone please do this? =D
July 25, 2009 01:58AM
scanff

Is that what was done with the Wii port of Quake? If so, maybe in the source for the port one can see how this process was completed.

And considering the content for Quake 3 is not open source... couldn't one... wait nevermind, the 3d models aren't even included in the source, everything basically would have to be re-created then?

What about altering the source code to fit our needs, then creating a program that will convert textures/models/maps etc... provided the individual has the full version of the game installed on their harddrive? Is that legal to do as long as no source content is distributed? I don't even know if any material needs conversion at all, I gotta look at the Wii Quake source compared to the Quake source and see what was changed and why. But, if graphics will display correctly provided that both they are there, and the source is modified to run on the Wii, then this could be done a little easier than what I just thought up.

Btw, anybody happen to remember Wii specs off-hand? I'll try to google them myself and add a note at the end of this post if I find'em.

EDIT: Found the specs... doesn't look very promising, but IIRC 64MB of RAM is all that is necessary to run the game.
Central Processing Unit: (CPU)IBM Broadway 729MHz
Graphics Processing Unit: (GPU)ATI Hollywood 243MHz
Supported Resolution: Up to 480p
System Memory: 88MB
Internet Connectivity: WiFi 802.11 b/gMedia
Internal Storage: 512MB Flash Memory
Optical Drive: 12cm Wii Disc & 8cm GameCube Disc. Discs will self-load into the bay.
12cm Disc Capacity: 4.7Gb (or 8.5Gb Dual Layer)
Memory Expansion: 1 x SD MemoryBackward Compatibility
Downloadable Games: NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Neo-Geo, TurboGrafix16 (and CD)
Disc Compatibility: GameCubeConnectivity
Wii Controller Ports: 4 x Wireless
GameCube Controller Ports: 4 Ports
GameCube Memory Expansion: 2 Ports
USB 2.02: 2 Ports
Internet: Wireless IEEE802.11b/g or a USB LAN adaptor. WiiConnect 24 persistant connection, even when powered off.
Output Ports: AV Multi-output port, allowing Composite, S-Video and Component.Controller
Connection Method: Bluetooth (wireless)Wiimote Buttons3 axis motion sensor, + Direction pad, A, B, Minus, Home, Power button, 1 and 2
Nunchuck Buttons: 3 axis motion sensor, Analog stick, C and ZForce feedback (rumble)YesOther featuresWiimote has a speaker and an expansion port

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2009 02:04AM by Kammesennin.
July 25, 2009 04:30AM
Quake is not 3D just 2D using a technique called raycasting which makes it look 3D.
July 25, 2009 06:27AM
According to wikipedia, the requirements for Quake 3 are:

3D graphics accelerator with full OpenGL support, Pentium II 233 MHz or AMD 350 MHz K6-2 processor or Athlon processor, 64 MB RAM, 8 MB video card, 500 MB of free hard drive space, 100% DirectX 3.0 or higher compatible sound card, CD-ROM drive (600 kB/s sustained transfer rate).

Looks like the Wii could handle it, as long as Quake 3 really never needs any more than 64 megs of ram.
July 25, 2009 09:20AM
scanff
Quake is not 3D just 2D using a technique called raycasting which makes it look 3D.

Afaik all Quakes use polygons and textures. That is 3D in my book.

jsmaster
the requirements for Quake 3 are:
[some numbers go here]
Keep in mind, that those numbers we're for PCs, that had an OS in the background, and that many foundations for the hardware techniques changed since then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2009 09:23AM by daniel_c_w.
July 25, 2009 09:46AM
daniel_c_w
scanff

Afaik all Quakes use polygons and textures. That is 3D in my book.

jsmaster
the requirements for Quake 3 are:
[some numbers go here]
Keep in mind, that those numbers we're for PCs, that had an OS in the background, and that many foundations for the hardware techniques changed since then.

Sorry, my mistake. Quake was true 3D, Wolf3D and Doom used raycasting.
July 25, 2009 04:30PM
jsmaster

3D graphics accelerator with full OpenGL support, Pentium II 233 MHz or AMD 350 MHz K6-2 processor or Athlon processor, 64 MB RAM, 8 MB video card, 500 MB of free hard drive space, 100% DirectX 3.0 or higher compatible sound card, CD-ROM drive (600 kB/s sustained transfer rate).

Looks like the Wii could handle it, as long as Quake 3 really never needs any more than 64 megs of ram.

Close enough for me to make the attempt. Only problem being that I don't quite know what I'm doing yet, lol. I don't see why I couldn't give it a shot though. The RAM limit may impede ideas about mods as I'm sure they have an impact on RAM on top of what the game uses by itself. Just have to play around with things if it ever gets all set up in the first place and see what happens.
July 25, 2009 08:12PM
Kammesennin
jsmaster

Close enough for me to make the attempt. Only problem being that I don't quite know what I'm doing yet, lol. I don't see why I couldn't give it a shot though. The RAM limit may impede ideas about mods as I'm sure they have an impact on RAM on top of what the game uses by itself. Just have to play around with things if it ever gets all set up in the first place and see what happens.

If you haven't programmed in C/C++ before, you probably shouldn't start with something as big as porting Quake 3. First, get a good book, or online tutorial, and really learn C/C++. Then, when you know you're way around, you can move on to bigger things.
July 25, 2009 09:46PM
jsmaster
If you haven't programmed in C/C++ before, you probably shouldn't start with something as big as porting Quake 3. First, get a good book, or online tutorial, and really learn C/C++. Then, when you know you're way around, you can move on to bigger things.

I've been waiting for that one, don't worry, I'll try some other things and familiarize myself with the language before actually attempting to port Quake 3, but it's definitely going to be the reason I begin learning :)

I think I'll maybe start with my own port of Wolfenstein 3D after going through the tutorials.
July 26, 2009 04:27PM
Kammesennin
I think I'll maybe start with my own port of Wolfenstein 3D after going through the tutorials.
Uhm, I think you should start with "Hello World".
July 26, 2009 05:08PM
Arikado
Kammesennin
Yes, that is always the first or second tutorial to any language, which I did say I was doing the tutorials first.
EDIT: Perhaps you thought I meant tutorials to porting Wolfenstein? If so, my apologies... miscommunication

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2009 05:09PM by Kammesennin.
July 26, 2009 07:58PM
Kammesennin
Arikado
Kammesennin
Yes, that is always the first or second tutorial to any language, which I did say I was doing the tutorials first.
EDIT: Perhaps you thought I meant tutorials to porting Wolfenstein? If so, my apologies... miscommunication

A Wolfenstein port is still way to big for your first project. First (after reading tutorials), you should pick a "Framework Library" such as GRRLIB (if you use C), libwiisprite (if you want an easy C++ library), or libwiigui (if you want to really learn C++ and have a powerful, but confusing for new C++ programmers, library to use). I personally prefer libwiigui, but if you find it overwhelming use libwiisprite. Once you picked a library, start writing simple programs, and maybe a simple game (such as pong). The key is to go gradually, you don't want to start with a massive project when you don't know what you're doing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login