Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quake Wii: Arena

Posted by Kammesennin 
Re: Quake Wii: Arena
July 26, 2009 09:51PM
No no no, I'm simply saying the first MAJOR thing I'll try is Wolfenstein, I'm not jumping ahead of the smaller steps... It's not the first language I've ever tried to learn, I know I have to keep it small at first to be sure I grasp all of the concepts of the code, and how to apply them. Just... once I get the hang of it, and have a fair understanding of it all, and have made dozens of other small things, I want to try to do my own port of Wolfenstein, and work my way up from there to quake 3.

But definitely going to go gradually, thanks for the concern though, I realize I'd never make anything if I tried to start off with something like that :)

I seem to have an... interesting way with words... can't seem to make my statements clear enough, lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2009 09:52PM by Kammesennin.
July 26, 2009 10:07PM
Besides experience in coding there's probably nothing functional you could take from Wolfenstein and use on Quake 3. Wolfenstein is raycasting and Quake 3 is OpenGL.

If you aren't familiar with raycasting here's a good overview [en.wikipedia.org]
July 26, 2009 10:34PM
Thanks, I'll look into that. And besides there being next to nothing I could take from doing Wolfenstein and apply to Quake 3, I kind of want to make my own port anyway. I know someone else already did, but maybe I can find a few things to do with my port that weren't done in the other one.
July 26, 2009 11:11PM
Kammesennin
No no no, I'm simply saying the first MAJOR thing I'll try is Wolfenstein, I'm not jumping ahead of the smaller steps... It's not the first language I've ever tried to learn, I know I have to keep it small at first to be sure I grasp all of the concepts of the code, and how to apply them. Just... once I get the hang of it, and have a fair understanding of it all, and have made dozens of other small things, I want to try to do my own port of Wolfenstein, and work my way up from there to quake 3.

But definitely going to go gradually, thanks for the concern though, I realize I'd never make anything if I tried to start off with something like that :)

I seem to have an... interesting way with words... can't seem to make my statements clear enough, lol.

Haha sorry for mistaking what you said. Good luck learning C/C++!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login