Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SSBB Texture Manager

Posted by nerboking 
SSBB Texture Manager
July 29, 2009 01:09AM
Kay, so I have no idea about coding (especially on the Wii) but I had this idea a while back, and I want to see if I can pull it together. But first, some background information.

There is currently a hack for Super Smash Bros. Brawl called the Dynamic SD Loader. It can be used with Geck OS. The Dynamic SD Loader changes the game so that every time it loads a file, it first checks for that file on the SD Card. If it finds the file on the card it will load it - if not, it will load from the game disk.

Hackers have used this to do a number of things. Primarily, people replace textures of Brawl characters, but they also reskin stages, items, pokemon and assist trophies, and replace Character Selection Portraits (CSPs) in the character menu. People are also replacing music tracks in the game, and new work is being done looking into replacing the animation models used.

The problem is that placing the skins in the right place on the SD card is rather inconvenient - the files must be given a specific name meaning they can't be identified very easily afterwards. CSPs are even harder - they can't be placed on the SD card manually - it has to go through a program called CUPASH (CSP Automatic Smash Hack).

A computer programmer who calls himself Chaemelion has created a PC-based texture manager that automatically renames the skin files and mounts them on the SD card. He's planning a new release to facilitate CSPs (since they REALLY help the user use the hacks). The application I'm proposing would be similar, but to be used on the Wii.

The ultimate goal of the application is this - to do for texture hacks what the Homebrew Channel and Homebrew Browser did for Homebrew.

Since I don't know anything about programming, I came here to get some support. What do you think, sirs?

-----

Links:

Chaemelion's Texture Manager (Archived Thread): [kittycorp.proboards.com]
Kitty Corp (Community Site w/ Forum): [www.kittycorp.xtreemhost.com]
Stack Smash (Community Site w/ IRC Chat): [stacksmash.cultnet.net]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2009 01:26AM by nerboking.
Re: SSBB Texture Manager
August 04, 2009 11:45AM
Seriously, what is the point of any of those hacks? Changing the pokemon? WTF? WHY! Changing the music? Why would you want anything else :|

I just don't understand the point of these hacks :S
August 08, 2009 07:37PM
Hm, what's the point? Pretty much changing stuff so it's better. I use a couple texture hacks; mainly recolors of characters (SMG colors Bowser, OOT Link, etc) but you can also change their moves to a certain extent and it's fun to mess with. =p
And the hacked stages are really something. Ganon's Castle, Richie's ship, all kinds of fun stuff. So I guess there would be no real point of hacking besides it being fun to watch "Spongebob Circlepants " (Kirby hack lol) beat the crap out of Kraid (charizard hack). I rant too much, eh?
August 09, 2009 05:33AM
I think they are fine, I use them, they don't change any of the gameplay so whats the big deal, anyway this app could be kind of like code manager, look online and get some textures, and then it would save them for you and allow you to edit them and select which ones to use.
August 21, 2009 09:32PM
i think its a good idea because i tried using textures with geko os but its too confusing
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login