Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

In need of name suggestions - File management application

Posted by PhoenixTank 
Re: In need of name suggestions - File management application
August 04, 2009 01:04AM
Wow, you managed to get libwiigui working - That alone is really impressive. I also really like how you have the data structures laid out.

I honestly can't wait until you release this (and the source I hope).

Great job and keep up the good work :)
August 04, 2009 11:16AM
Ideal outcome:

User attempts to open a file, open using a) an installed homebrew app or, b) use the file manager's inbuilt file handler for its type.
-- eg. images, music, video...

User attempts to open a homebrew program ('boot.dol' or 'boot.elf'), should load the program. Also, when in the '/apps/' directory, the 'items' within the folder should be the program loaders -- ie: homebrew channel in filemanager form. (include option to switch from this behaviour to regular file management behaviour for the '/apps/' folder).

User attempts to open music, play music, show controls from play, pause, stop, etc.
Same for Video,
show next-image, previous-image, etc when images are shown.
Essentially: "built in" minimalist media player :)
August 04, 2009 11:50AM
Arikado
Wow, you managed to get libwiigui working - That alone is really impressive. I also really like how you have the data structures laid out.

I honestly can't wait until you release this (and the source I hope).

Great job and keep up the good work :)

You lost me at "data structures", Arikado :P What were you referring to?
Most of what is visible isn't really my work. Tantric wrote the file browser and I've just modified it to work with my hub and device classes. You can still access the default device from the original "file browser" menu (mainly for debugging), while my version is in the "hub browser" menu. Most of the time has been spent working on the classes, really.

I don't know if the class implementation and modification of the libwiigui example template adds up to being impressive, though. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud that my first Wii application is actually functional and doing something halfway useful, but I think you are giving me too much credit here.
Thanks all the same :P

As far as source goes, I don't think I have a choice. I'm a little rusty with licences, but libwiigui is GPLed - if I want to distribute the .dol publicly, I'm going have to provide the source. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though... licences tend to confuse me to no end.

master5o1
Ideal outcome:

User attempts to open a file, open using a) an installed homebrew app or, b) use the file manager's inbuilt file handler for its type.
-- eg. images, music, video...

User attempts to open a homebrew program ('boot.dol' or 'boot.elf'), should load the program. Also, when in the '/apps/' directory, the 'items' within the folder should be the program loaders -- ie: homebrew channel in filemanager form. (include option to switch from this behaviour to regular file management behaviour for the '/apps/' folder).

User attempts to open music, play music, show controls from play, pause, stop, etc.
Same for Video,
show next-image, previous-image, etc when images are shown.
Essentially: "built in" minimalist media player :)

Trust me... everything above is already on my wishlist, except for the special functionality of the apps folder. I like that :P
It'll all be there... some day...
August 04, 2009 02:43PM
PhoenixTank
Just the way you have stuff like return to HUB and Up one laid out at the top and everything else in alphabetical order. Sorry for the lack of a better term.

Regarding the other things, I think you're not giving yourself enough credit. You've successfully implememnted multiple threads and braved through the learning of libwiigui. Honestly, after spending days with it, I just can't get libwiigui to render anything for the life of me.

Again, good job :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 02:43PM by Arikado.
August 04, 2009 06:02PM
Arikado
PhoenixTank
Just the way you have stuff like return to HUB and Up one laid out at the top and everything else in alphabetical order. Sorry for the lack of a better term.
Ah I see. Well, again credit to Tantric. The sorting mechanism and "Up One Level" was already there. I actual wanted "Up to hub" to appear first, but I'm going to need to edit the callback for that. Honestly, grab the libwiigui SVN or 1.03 and compile the example. Throw it on your SD card, boot it up and head to the file browser, then compare with what I've shown. Credit has to go to Tantric. I swear he has a hand in almost every project/library I look at too.
Arikado
Regarding the other things, I think you're not giving yourself enough credit. You've successfully implememnted multiple threads and braved through the learning of libwiigui. Honestly, after spending days with it, I just can't get libwiigui to render anything for the life of me.
Again, good job :)
So far, I've left threading alone. Not something I am at all familiar with, and thankfully I haven't had to alter, so far. I have a horrible feeling that file operations are going to need to be executed separate to the main thread, though.
Okay, I'll concede, I think I understand a fair bit of libwiigui at decent standard, but I have Eclipse's debug perspective and GDB to thank for a lot of that. Stepping through the example is/was invaluable.

So... your move, Arikado, your move... ;-)
August 04, 2009 06:09PM
August 04, 2009 06:31PM
GDB: The GNU Project Debugger
Specifically, devkitPPC\bin\powerpc-gekko-gdb.exe (Win) from devkitpro.
August 06, 2009 04:59AM
View Mii
August 11, 2009 08:33PM
File Mii! :D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login