Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mac version of NUSD

Posted by TopGun96 
Mac version of NUSD
August 12, 2009 10:57PM
Well.... i would love for someone to port this great application to mac as i do not own a single windows computer and most likely never will. I think that this application could save me from some semi bricks. (if my system menu gets screwed up) Thank you to whoever can make a working version of it. (one that wont brick my wii from a bad download!! :)
Re: Mac version of NUSD
August 12, 2009 11:18PM
Have you tried running it with Darwine? Its a Mac version of Wine, and NUSD apparently runs on Linux using Wine, so I think it may work.
August 12, 2009 11:26PM
honestly i have never gotten anything to work in darwine as i dont have an intel mac and the PowerMAC versions are quite outdated.
I will try again though.

Edit: sorry arikado. Could have sworn i started this in Ideas and requests...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2009 09:24PM by TopGun96.
August 14, 2009 01:59AM
Oops... right on the darwine page it says "Important Warning: YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RUN WINDOWS APPLICATIONS (.exe's) USING USING THIS RELEASE ON POWERPC HARDWARE ."

I do in-fact have a kick butt PowerMac (or PowerPc whatever) G5 mac.

so i guess there is no way now...
August 14, 2009 03:11AM
and i will not run windows on my Mac
August 14, 2009 04:53AM
yeah, I'd like a mac port of this, especially since the only (working) computers I have are PPC macs
August 14, 2009 05:36AM
Thank you for the vote :)
August 14, 2009 07:22PM
I have contacted wb3000 in hopes that he will port it. i guess we will see...
August 16, 2009 12:52AM
TopGun96
and i will not run windows on my Mac

You couldn't, even if you wanted to? At least not nativly, you may do it in a VM
August 16, 2009 12:59AM
That's what I meant. But I don't want to go buy a piece of dumb software so that I can run one (or even a few) applications on my computer.

Honestly I think windows is a piece of junk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2009 01:03AM by TopGun96.
August 16, 2009 02:42AM
TopGun96
That's what I meant. But I don't want to go buy a piece of dumb software so that I can run one (or even a few) applications on my computer.

Honestly I think windows is a piece of junk.

well, let's be honest, you wouldn't have to buy any software, you could just use an open-source VM program like Q (or, since you're on a mac, Qemu). Personally, I wouldn't do it either because A) VM software runs like crap and B) as popular as it is, in general, Windows is indeed junk
August 16, 2009 02:55AM
But in order to emulate windows you have to own a windows OS disc...
August 16, 2009 03:14AM
TopGun96
But in order to emulate windows you have to own a windows OS disc...

True enough, I actually got one for free... and legally, my friend didn't want it so he gave it to me. It's an XP SP1 upgrade disc, so I have to use an older version of Windows (like the Windows 98 CD that I have for absolutely no reason. Seriously, I was a mac user before Win98 hit).
August 16, 2009 03:39AM
Well untill Someone makes a working exe emulator (not windows but the actual applications) that's the best we get.
August 16, 2009 01:37PM
theres boot camp. you dont have to buy it, and its better than a virtual machine, because you're not running two OSes, so there are more system resources available. But again, you need an XP or Vista or 7 disc. Oh, there's an idea - Windows 7 RC. Can you still download it? I dunno...but if you can, download it and install it in a virtual machine or boot camp, then run NUSD in it. It will deactivate after a while, but I think there's another year or so till that happens.

EDIT: Yeah, you can still download it till the 20th of the month, so get it fast. It'll last till 1st June next year, but will start shutting down every two hours on 1st March. Get it here : [www.microsoft.com]

Download it, burn it, install it in boot camp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2009 01:42PM by SifJar.
August 16, 2009 04:06PM
Could I use Qemu still? I don't really want to install windows (just emulate) I think my computer can handle it...
August 16, 2009 04:16PM
Yeah, that'd work fine. I just figured you'd get better performance installing it with boot camp. But using Qemu or another virtual machine software should work fine.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I guess you really dont need to bother installing just for NUSD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2009 04:18PM by SifJar.
August 16, 2009 04:20PM
It would be faster but I would rather not install it because viruses constantly get through windows and I would like for my drive to not become corrupted. Thanks for the help I will try it and post back.
August 16, 2009 06:09PM
Well according to the requirements... I need a 32-Bit or a 64-Bit processor. But i am on PPC architecture. Will it still work with Qemu?
August 16, 2009 06:48PM
I honestly have no idea. I dont really understand all that processor stuff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login