Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some one should make an RTS game for the wii

Posted by Geniis 
Some one should make an RTS game for the wii
August 14, 2009 02:50AM
I dont know about u guys but i think an RTS on the wii would be fun. I know RTSes dont have a good track record on consoles but because of the wiis pointer it would make things alot easier. And it dont even need to be anything fancy... just a nice little 2d rts like warcraft or starcraft. I would love to do this but i dont know anything about programming for the wii or in C... i only know turing DX (such a crappy language lol)... anyways does anyone want to do this? That is if anyone has the time and will to do so... cause as i understand coding an RTS can be quite long and challenging lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2009 03:25AM by Geniis.
Re: Some one should make an RTS game for the wii
August 14, 2009 01:06PM
I am actually thinking about doing a rather slow paced underwater RPG
August 15, 2009 12:49AM
Age of empires wii, but not a crappy remake like on the DS.
Or Command and Conquer Generals.
August 15, 2009 12:03PM
this sounds like a cool idea.
there are a couple of open source RTS games out there like if anyone has the knowledge, time and effort to make a port:
Bos Wars
Glest
Globulation 2
Homeworld (source code)

Theres probably some more....I have no idea if the wii is capable of running these games, but itd be cool to play them on there.
August 15, 2009 03:38PM
Any of them based around SDL?
August 15, 2009 04:10PM
sorry Arikado i am an absolute noob when it comes to coding. i managed to work out SDL means Simple DirectMedia Layer?

i checked the games, apparently Bos Wars is "is written in C++ and Lua and it uses the SDL library".

I dont think Homeworld originally used SDL but there is a project now to make it run on other computer platforms. Check out http://homeworldsdl.org/

I dont think Glest or Globulation 2 are based around SDL.
Hope that helps.

Are any of them able to be ported to wii?
August 15, 2009 06:25PM
I think they're all liable to be ported to Wii. If any of them were based around SDL though, it would make the job of porting them infinitely easier. Alternatively, if they're based around OpenGL, it would make the job of porting infinitely harder.
August 15, 2009 07:11PM
An RTS for the Wii could be great, I wonder why no company has made one (yet?).
I'm currently working on a Wii game (not an RTS), so unless I get bored with it I won't have time to start another one. BUT if anybody starts their own open source RTS I'd be happy to contribute.
September 24, 2009 05:56PM
I would love to work on something like this. I am busy with my own fighting game right now, but would gladly contribute if someone did the startup work.
October 07, 2009 07:03AM
I'd be willing to work on this with another person/other people, and (???maybe???) have an online mode that would connect you to other playing the game as well?
That would be a little ways down the road though, but imo it would be cool to play an rts with some other WiiBrewers.
October 07, 2009 10:55AM
Homeworld would be pretty awesome, I think I know someone that would kill for it.
But I think it makes extensive use of OpenGL. So porting it wouldn't be a trival task. The license is not that FOSS friendly. You need to request access to the source (I just did btw, so I can see if it's possible)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2009 12:06PM by Daid.
October 07, 2009 11:10AM
Bos Wars, or Globulation seem like the two that fit the job description the best, after a evenings overview, and review of them.
I'm not sure, maybe this will blossom into something in the near future, but for now I have to bug my web host because he fucked up cpanel. D:
Anyway, I'd be more than happy to collaborate on this with one or more people.

But, more on the inquisitive side, does anyone know, if its possible to use OpenGL along with SDL on the wii, or is OpenGL just out of the question, period, because I honestly think that OpenGL would handle drawing the sprites much better that straight up SDL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2009 11:18AM by ckinrun.
October 07, 2009 12:08PM
OpenGL does not work on the Wii. The Wii has GX, which has APIs that sortof match OpenGL, but don't. I don't know if you can mix GX and SDL, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can.
October 07, 2009 12:22PM
Damn.
So no OpenGL at al?
Bleh....
Looks like its time for me to learn GX then....

/me returns to nerd cave
October 07, 2009 07:33PM
ckinrun
Damn.
So no OpenGL at al?
Bleh....

/me returns to nerd cave

Google gl2gx andread what you find. It's a half-made port of openGL.
October 07, 2009 09:47PM
profetylen
ckinrun
Damn.
So no OpenGL at al?
Bleh....

/me returns to nerd cave

Google gl2gx andread what you find. It's a half-made port of openGL.

Wow, how lulzy is that.
It directed me to WiiBrew.
XD
October 10, 2009 12:30PM
Btw, I got the source for HomeworldSDL, and I got it to compile for windows (while it was targeted at Linux and MacOS) and it runs fine.

I'm slowly trying to get it to compile for the Wii, but it will be quite some amount of work. And due to the license I cannot share the source.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2009 12:30PM by Daid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login