Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Full throttle for GC games on Wii

Posted by ipsilonv 
Full throttle for GC games on Wii
August 27, 2009 10:02PM
Hi. Maybe this has been asked before, but I can't find it anywhere. As I understand it - and I might be wrong - when a Wii starts a gamecube game, it does so by immitating the processing power of the gamecube. Would it be possible to create a way of playing gamecube games with the full power of the Wii? This would make games like Baldur's Gate not lag at any moment, which would make more sense on a more powerful system. The more I think about it, the more impossible it becomes, from what I understand about emulation. I just want to know if it can be done, and if not why. I like to learn how my wii works as I find it interesting, other than that there is not like I would be able to code it or anything like that.

But, I put this topic on the request section, so if it's possible... there's my request. Although I would think people have already tried this.
Re: Full throttle for GC games on Wii
August 27, 2009 10:09PM
Been asked loads of times and I think the answer is it isnt possible for some reason, but someone else will have to explain it better.
August 27, 2009 11:00PM
Change the way the wii plays the game, so it benefits from the increased processing power? Impossible or very difficult.

There's a way to launch gamecube games without downclocking the cpu, but then the game runs at increased speed which is not the same as using the processing power. I think it's just starting the BC directly and the GC game runs in that mode.

What lag are you talking about? (i don't have the game) Could it be related to the disc loading? That's restricted to 3x speed when loading GC games which is about the same speed a gamecube drive runs at.
September 05, 2009 10:28PM
Sorry I'm answering so late. The lag I was talking about is in the specific game Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. It's a known issue that in the gamecube it had slowdowns. I think I might have used the word lag the wrong way, it's just stuttering problems and whatnot. But if it's not possible its not possible.

But my question would be: does the same happen when emulating on a pc? If not, then what makes emulation in the PC different than on the Wii. I know the Wii has less power, but it runs the GC games natively. I know emulating and running natively is not the same, but I don't understand why the wii lowers the power when playing GC games. :/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login