Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Social apps. There aren't enough.

Posted by danj3ris 
Social apps. There aren't enough.
August 30, 2009 08:49PM
I'd like to make a general suggestion for homebrew apps of a more "social" aspect. I feel Nintendo has really dropped the ball on this topic. They had a good start with the message board, adding a few channels that promote Wii users to take part ( Everybody votes, Check Mii Out, Wii Speak ), but now what?

Nintendo's Wii development on a social front seems incredibly slow. I'd love to see some apps that really flex the Wii's muscles in the social scene.

Obvious ideas: Current social networking sites. Tweeting from the Wii. A Facebook client that acts as an alternative to Wii's internet browser and it's shortcomings. Maybe even a social network only accessible from the Wii itself.

These are just quick ideas that seem to be popping up everywhere else for other platforms, but even though I would like to see some more worthwhile apps, I wouldn't mind these things existing as it would bring more functionality to the Wii. I'd love to see homebrew games that allow online play. Utilities geared towards more social aspects. I believe Wii users should be more connected. Nintendo just hasn't done enough.

I cannot code. I don't know difficult or feasible this would be, or whether or not it would have to work within Nintendo's friendcode or message board systems or not. But I'm excited to think of what could be possible. Thanks.
Re: Social apps. There aren't enough.
September 01, 2009 04:53AM
add something like that to wiiconnect??
September 01, 2009 11:58AM
danj3ris
I cannot code. I don't know difficult or feasible this would be, or whether or not it would have to work within Nintendo's friendcode or message board systems or not. But I'm excited to think of what could be possible. Thanks.

I am researching a possible system that could be placed on top of friend codes without homebrew, i just need to figure out how the wii handles emails
September 01, 2009 07:20PM
Well now that the internet channel is free, a simple possibility would be to code a site optimized for it. I've coded forum/chat sites for wap (mobile/cell phone) access. So optimizing one of these for wii shouldnt be too dificult. But remember, it will be needed to be hosted on a web server, and if your expecting (or hoping) for thousands of members server costs could soon pile up. That said if anyone wants to go about it this way then let me know. Comunitwii??
September 02, 2009 04:49AM
darklink
add something like that to wiiconnect??

I just downloaded the demo and I am eagerly awaiting updates. Wiiconnect sounds like a very good idea.

SteelSLasher
I am researching a possible system that could be placed on top of friend codes without homebrew, i just need to figure out how the wii handles emails

Good to see other's working on it! Keep it up.

uglymonkey
But remember, it will be needed to be hosted on a web server, and if your expecting (or hoping) for thousands of members server costs could soon pile up. That said if anyone wants to go about it this way then let me know. Comunitwii?

When the Wii was first announced to have online browsing capability I bought a domain for the precise purpose of making it a Wii Compatible/ Wii friendly site. I never got around to developing it, but I am 100% behind your idea. I actually have an email address at that domain that forwards all email to my Wii. I basically gave my Wii it's own email address, and the best part is you don't have to be on my friends list because it always comes from danj3ris@miizone.com via forwarding. Send something with the subject "wii me" to that email address, my Wii will get it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2009 07:38PM by danj3ris.
September 02, 2009 06:58AM
nice...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login