Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Backgammon.. (+GNUBG opponent?)

Posted by jabce85 
Backgammon.. (+GNUBG opponent?)
September 24, 2009 10:35PM
I can't believe no one has requested backgammon yet. Anyway, for anyone who hasn't played it, it is terribly addicting.

For any programmers interested, you might want to check out this little program known as gnubg.. From what I understand, it's pretty much a full fledged professional backgammon player in code (it does so many things I'm not even going to list them here). From checking around, I'm pretty sure the source is freely available, BUT I have no idea if this program could be ported in any way shape or form to run on the wii in a backgammon game.

Just an idea from an avid backgammon fan...... thanks for at least reading this far!
Re: Backgammon.. (+GNUBG opponent?)
September 25, 2009 01:54PM
Seconded.
September 25, 2009 02:22PM
Thirded
September 25, 2009 06:39PM
awesome! i'm extremely glad i'm not the only one here that wants to see this..

for any developer: if you're going to tackle this, PLEASE make your number 1 priority a computer opponent. Games that are only made for 2 player do get made faster, but when it's 3 am and you want to play, who is really gonna be there with you? also, I am more than willing to help out, but my programming skills are quite lacking; unless we're gonna be programming PLC's.. ha.
September 27, 2009 03:52AM
thats actually one of my next project ideas once i get done with my current one (should be another week or so).

Glad to see there is some interest for it!
September 27, 2009 09:56AM
mdbrim..

do you think this gnubg thing could be run on the wii? i tried looking through the posted source, but my little experience with c and java is just that.... limited
September 27, 2009 03:24PM
well, like jabce85 said, it'll probably be two players just to get the basics done and release v0.1, BUT like he also said, that doesn't do you any good for your 3am sessions... so it'll have some sort of one player mode, if that is with gnubg or something else, i don't know. i haven't looked at gnubg but i will... i'm all about not having to reinvent the wheel.
September 28, 2009 05:56AM
ha, i'm jabce85..

anyway, sounds like you got a plan already laid out in your head. good luck on finishing up your other project! i hope that gnubg thing can help you out in some way. let me know if you want me to write instructions or do any time consuming task not relating to hardcore programming....
September 29, 2009 02:57AM
sounds good man... jabce85 said he would help too...

just kidding... sorry dude, i don't know why i answered you and didn't even notice you were the jabce... guess i scrolled too fast..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login