Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Speed boost?

Posted by etertay 
Speed boost?
October 11, 2009 03:18AM
is there any way to give the wii more processing power...via high storage sd cards or usb's? like the temporary file storage they use in pc's?

if that's impossible , is there any way to give it more power
Re: Speed boost?
October 11, 2009 03:22AM
etertay
is there any way to give the wii more processing power...via high storage sd cards or usb's? like the temporary file storage they use in pc's?

if that's impossible , is there any way to give it more power

What you on about ?
October 11, 2009 03:31AM
simply, an increase of processing power

i know its probably impossible, but, no harm in asking
October 11, 2009 05:25AM
Storage devices have nothing to do with processing speed. Sorry it's impossible. Only way to speed up your wii is to unsolder the processor and put a faster one on. Of course you'd have to find a compatible one (I'm sure the Wii's cpu is custom) and have the ability to solder a BGA chip.
October 11, 2009 10:06AM
I think he's talking about some computers' ability to use external disks a swap space; Turning USB to RAM.
October 11, 2009 08:29PM
Using any type of removable media as ram will be painfully slow.
October 12, 2009 05:11AM
Actually Read write speed on a USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps, so thats probably faster then the wiis storage, and even if it wasnt, it is better to have a 1GB of DDR then 512MB of DDR2, even thought DDR only runs at 400MHz max and DDR2 runs at 1066 max its still double the space, and space is more important than sped with RAM at this stage.
October 12, 2009 05:22AM
Not sure about the recent release of libogc but file I/O has been very slow on the Wii using homebrew tools.
October 13, 2009 09:33PM
ninjafish1990
Actually Read write speed on a USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps, so thats probably faster then the wiis storage, and even if it wasnt, it is better to have a 1GB of DDR then 512MB of DDR2, even thought DDR only runs at 400MHz max and DDR2 runs at 1066 max its still double the space, and space is more important than sped with RAM at this stage.

usb 3.0 is coming so speed's could be actually helped
October 13, 2009 09:46PM
etertay
ninjafish1990

usb 3.0 is coming so speed's could be actually helped

Sorry but the USB Controller on Wii would need to be USB 3.0. Also your'e limited by the speed of IO which is very slow. 14 MB of files takes a few seconds to load on my 1.6Ghz laptop but takes 5 minutes from the Wii's SD card.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login