Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

virtual gc mem card

Posted by etertay 
virtual gc mem card
November 01, 2009 12:20AM
I don't want to have to buy a game cube memory card, but everyone says it's the only way to save games.

what about a "hidden channel" that creates a virtual memory card for the console (or a home brew disc loader) to use.
Re: virtual gc mem card
November 01, 2009 12:51AM
What? So you want GC saves to save to the wii or something?
November 01, 2009 01:08AM
That would be cool...
November 01, 2009 01:51AM
Correct me if I am wrong but, wouldnt the game have to know to look on the NAND to find the save? Absolutely NO GC game can do this. (The gamecube has no NAND space for saves)
November 01, 2009 01:51AM
TopGun96
Correct me if I am wrong but, wouldnt the game have to know to look on the NAND to find the save? Absolutely NO GC game can do this. (The gamecube has no NAND space for saves)
Yeah, thats what I thought too.

The wii goes into a "GC Mode", doesn't it? All the wii hardware gets locked out when you run a GC game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2009 01:54AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
November 01, 2009 02:10AM
WaxyPumpkin72
The wii goes into a "GC Mode", doesn't it? All the wii hardware gets locked out when you run a GC game.

Correct. The Wii's NAND and all the other things that are not found in a game cube, are locked out.
November 01, 2009 03:21AM
what about when mios is installed and the game cube backup launcher is installed also... wouldn't there be a way to configure the loader to "pretend" that theres a card and just save the data to the sd card instead?
November 01, 2009 03:26AM
What do you mean "When MIOS is installed"? It already is installed....

Oh, and backups aren't supported here.
November 01, 2009 04:07AM
wouldn't the same apply to the homebrew disc loader?
November 01, 2009 05:10AM
Homebrew Disc Loader loads legitimate Wii games.....so, uh, thats not piracy. :P
November 01, 2009 05:14AM
backups aren't pirate either as long as you own the games you launch(which i do)
November 01, 2009 05:34AM
Yeah, but that doesn't mean they're supported here, even if they are used legally.
Could we stop talking about this now?

Back on-topic:

The answer to your question is almost 100% no.
November 01, 2009 10:45AM
Can you make MIOS, instead of looking for GC memory cards look for folders GC0 and GC1 or something.
November 01, 2009 11:35AM
AFAIK MIOS doesn't even run while the Gamecube games run. It's only used at start, don't remember precicely for what, but you could check the other "Gamecube emulator/hypervisor" threads to find out.

To acheive what etertay suggests I think one would have to launch the game in Wii mode, so no hardware locks out, then we'll have a problem with clock speed. The PPC processor will be of too high clock rate and some/all Gamecube games may not work due to this, so one would maybe need to find a way to change the clock rate. Then, we would need to patch the game to be able to use the NAND/SD card for game saves. But all of this is really hard and I bet it wont happen in the near future if ever.
November 01, 2009 01:59PM
WaxyPumpkin72
Homebrew Disc Loader loads legitimate Wii games.....so, uh, thats not piracy. :P

Actually Homebrew Disc Loader loads homebrew which is burnt to a disc. It uses DVDx to do so. You're thinking of libwiigame, which loads an official game which is inserted.
November 01, 2009 03:57PM
MIOS is used to lock out all the Wii's hardware. It is only used when you press the start button in the disc channel. (if there is a GC game in) It is not running while the game is playing.

Just thought I should clear that up.
November 01, 2009 07:16PM
what if the games were patched somehow...
November 01, 2009 07:26PM
They would still load in GC mode, i.e. all Wii hardware (including NAND, SD etc.) would be locked out. Therefore, this is as impossible as using Wii controls for GC games.
November 01, 2009 11:10PM
Plus (IIRC) no one has successfully patched a GC game or MIOS
November 02, 2009 12:39AM
SifJar
WaxyPumpkin72

Actually Homebrew Disc Loader loads homebrew which is burnt to a disc. It uses DVDx to do so. You're thinking of libwiigame, which loads an official game which is inserted.
Ah, yes, I was. Sorry for that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login