Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DVDX game edition

Posted by nightwishfan1 
DVDX game edition
November 27, 2009 06:08AM
Ok this may seem like a useless topic to some, but in all honesty I had no clue that DVD players actually hosted a handful of games specifically for them.....And no I'm not referring to board games and what not that utilize a DVD to display the questions or whatever else they are used for. I also realize some may be like "Uh....just get the DVD disc for the game and use it like you would a movie", but I dont think it would be that simple. You see I found a list of stand alone games that were designed for DVD movie players as interactive movies for the most part. However the list as stated has but a mere handful of games, which leads me to suspect that such games were shipped in sparce quantities in w/e region of the world they were released in. I for one dont recall ever seeing any of the games I saw listed. Perhaps for the reason I just stated. Even in specialty stores that one would figure would have a few.

Now I know DVDX allows actual DVD movie discs to play through the Wii via a hidden exploit that enables that specific feature. And for some that's just fine and dandy, however I'm not sure that it supports image loading or not....And hence my reason for this topic. These games most likely being limited releases at their time of release would not be so readily available to launch via DVD disc. Also the fact that not all of the games are interactive movies. A good majority sure, but a few had the basic inputs for movement and other simple things in them that could be achieved via a remote control.

So to basically get to the bottom of this is that DVDX could be made more game friendly for these games, but not use the exploit the original did to achieve disc playback. Rather this would use an image of w/e DVD game disc, load and play that image. In essence make it a emulator of sorts that loads itself and game images off of SD, USB, or w/e. This particular version could be limited to just the DVD games and not movies via a xml with only the games info. The xml would have to be uneditable so that others would not be able to use it for piracy of downloaded movies. This could also be achieved by possibly hard coding into DVDX the game info only so that it only recognizes those images. Images of the games is disputeable, though some seem as abandoned now, as there they were released years ago, and arent easy to find at all. Another feature this could have would be customizable controls for Wii-mote/Nunchuck (single mote or combo with nunchuk), or classic controllers. Again some did more than let you click on things via the remote control. Not sure how far that went, but customizing controls would be ideal for some I'd assume.

As for these games in question you may wonder. A list of them can be found here: [www.gamefaqs.com]

I realize this could be controversial with how I propose this incarnation of DVDX be, but knowing the games are most likely abandoned, and are rare would probably justify this request.

Well that's all I wanted to ask about. As always thanks for consideration. If this request for some reason cant be theoritcally complied with the manners specified or otherwise, then please delete this post. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2009 06:09AM by nightwishfan1.
Re: DVDX game edition
November 27, 2009 06:37AM
Is my face supposed to bleed when I facepalm?

You obviously know absolutely nothing about these "games" all they are, really, are chains upon chains of menus. Which we can already do with something like mPlayer, but even if we couldn't, it'd require a new libdvdnav, not a new DVDx, all DVDx does it make the drive go "OH HEY I REMEMBER HOW TO READ DVD DISCS"
November 27, 2009 02:38PM
cactusjack901

You obviously know absolutely nothing about these "games" all they are, really, are chains upon chains of menus. Which we can already do with something like mPlayer, but even if we couldn't, it'd require a new libdvdnav, not a new DVDx, all DVDx does it make the drive go "OH HEY I REMEMBER HOW TO READ DVD DISCS"

LOL

:P
November 28, 2009 03:21AM
Geez jack, take it easy on him. Stop treating people like they are trash if they mistake themselves...

I agree however, that this would deal with libdvdnav. However, it would be pretty sweet to run those laserdisc dvd games, long live Dragon's Lair.

Good luck on this though. As for menu navigation, I would try a dvd game you own(I hope we arent pirating them, right?) and then use the libdvdnav function in Mplayer CE. Good luck, not a bad idea either...
November 28, 2009 04:41AM
cactusjack901

Wow!! "Jack"ass figured it out!! That's why I posted this thread you moron....On the off chance it wasnt possible with mPlayer. Also DVDX could be the app name for DVD Player games. Not a brand new DVDX itself. You didnt think that far ahead did you?? Good to know people like to make asses out themselves still. Pies on you fuck face.

As for Slyfox. I got no idea if obtaining images of such games would be illegal or not. I mean to me it would seem that after a couple years with no newer games being produced (aside from the gimmicky DVD for board games and the like) that they are indeed abandoned. I dont know how to call that one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2009 04:49AM by nightwishfan1.
November 28, 2009 05:22PM
Touche...

(Still, even if you dont like him, refrain from calling him a Jack@$$... Thanks...
November 28, 2009 09:44PM
^^^You're not a mod or anything so I wont be needing your advice.
November 29, 2009 12:54AM
He was asking kindly to respect his Morals you don't need to be rude just because he isn't a mod, anyways with the DVD iso's it would be illegal if they were abandoned or not they are still copyrighted.
November 29, 2009 04:15AM
Crisco
He was asking kindly to respect his Morals you don't need to be rude just because he isn't a mod, anyways with the DVD iso's it would be illegal if they were abandoned or not they are still copyrighted.

Let's get one thing straight here. We are on the internet. I dont give much of a rats ass for anyones morals...They arent mine so dont expect me to give two shits about them. Are we clear on all that? Good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2009 04:15AM by nightwishfan1.
November 29, 2009 04:18AM
I'm really not a fan of flaming sorry.

(Also, if you look carefully at cactusjacks post, you will find the conclusion to your idea.)
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.