Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Seperate System Menu Installation

Posted by slyfox299 
Seperate System Menu Installation
November 28, 2009 05:36PM
I realize the time and effort this might take, and I am unsure whether it is even possible. However, listen to my case please...

I had a brainstorm the other day, and I thought about this.
slyfox299
What if we had a way to install the System Menu to an SD card, perhaps allocate an amount of space and simulate the Wii's system menu function?

Ok, so there it is. Basically, if we could create an NAND simulator, which would then boot an NAND backup and basically trick the wii in believing that the nand.bin which is loaded is the real nand on the Wii's internal memory. Now what if we could extract the data from the bin, copy it onto the SD, and use it with a loader to force the wii to boot all files from an external app?

Is this even physically possible? Perhaps a preloader or boot loader hack, which forces all data to be read from the SD? Or would all the data have to be transferred to the physical memory before it could be used?
Please ask as many questions as you want!

(By all means this is not for Disc Loading! Please do not ask about that. This would allow for testing without the worry of a brick. And yes BootMii is sweet with its brick protection, but beyond that.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2009 05:38PM by slyfox299.
Re: Seperate System Menu Installation
November 28, 2009 05:43PM
There are already some early betas of "NAND Emulators." For instance there is SNEEK v2 which is not out yet though...
November 29, 2009 06:42PM
SNEEK is the only NAND emulator supported here, there is another one, but it isnt a proper NAND emulator, it just redirects some NAND calls to SD/USB, and it isnt supported here.
December 02, 2009 03:46AM
What you described, TC, sounds exactly like SNEEK, except that SNEEK doesn't use a BootMii NAND dump. That app should work wonders once it's released and has all of the copyright stupidity ironed out.
December 03, 2009 06:16AM
Yeah, it really does, and I can't wait to give SNEEK a whirl... Too bad I missed the beta :D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login