Guitars on Fire star power, why not?
December 03, 2009 08:36PM
Guitars on Fire is a great application, but it's just not complete to compete with a fully developed guitar game like Guitar Hero or Rock Band. OK, I understand the limitations of unknown coding, like the whammy bar for instance. However, I just don't understand why Daid (the developer of GoF) hadn't put in star power when either the motion sensitivity or the minus button are both functional to trigger it.

I was wondering this when I saw the level layout included which had a ping of a guitar which balanced and turned to the actual Guitar Hero guitar. Why not string the guitar (or remote) movement to a star power script? The star power scripting would take an hour or so (I don't code, maybe I'm wrong,) but the star power trigger is easy; it's right there under his nose.

I was trying to get a hold of the developer, Daid, but I have no clue how. He does provide the source to his project though, so maybe someone else could try my idea. The developers of the Smashing homebrew game would be good candidates to contact; in their game you have to "jerk" the remote to reload your gun, similar to how you activate star power in the Guitar Hero games.

Why is this important to me? Well, the game can get a little boring, and without the whammy bar or the star power, I might even loose friends to play with me! >P
I believe the star power is an easy code which will make the game twice as fun at least. Could anyone here be able to do that, or knock on Daid's door and bug him to? I have no knowledge of coding, except for maybe MySpace page, but I work well on the computer and can still figure things out easily. I am willing to talk to anyone about any ideas or questions. Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2009 08:37PM by PetMetroid.
Re: Guitars on Fire star power, why not?
December 04, 2009 02:31AM
he doesn't like the idea, i trolled him about it.
its not gonna happen, sorry.
btw it would take longer for it to go the real way, have him use the select button instead of jerking it
December 06, 2009 07:52PM
...Or if you have Rock Band 2 you could just use RawkSD. Another problem is though, that the songs have to have Star Power/Overdrive charted in the MIDI file, so even though Daid doesn't like the idea, it isn't completely under his control anyways.
December 08, 2009 12:52AM
Detecting a starpower activation would be easy. The problem part is gaining starpower, where to put the star power notes so they balance out (GH has them on fixed points) the songs don't contain starpower positions.

Once you figure out a good way to place star notes then it shouldn't take that long to code the rest around it.
December 16, 2009 09:22PM
Daid
Detecting a starpower activation would be easy. The problem part is gaining starpower, where to put the star power notes so they balance out (GH has them on fixed points) the songs don't contain starpower positions.

Once you figure out a good way to place star notes then it shouldn't take that long to code the rest around it.

Actually if your using a FoF Song, or even an imported song from Rock Band or Guitar Hero, the star power sections have to be charted in the MIDI file. I'm fully aware that they are at fixed points in full-bodied Guitar Hero and Rock Band, but for some reason games like Guitar Fun (which FoF is based off, I think) have to have star power/overdrive charted in the MIDI file.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2009 09:24PM by GrungeKid17.
December 17, 2009 10:58AM
The only thing I took from GuitarFun code is the midi loading, and even that had a few bugs in it. And I took some gfx, which I also had to fixup.

All the chart software I looked at didn't allow me to set any starpower sections/points. And I think GuitarFun abuses tempo changes as starpower sections. But I cannot check that as GuitarFun doesn't work for me (lag makes it unplayable)

EDIT: Btw, I was working on Whammy bar effect, but it's screwing up sound synchronization. Meaning I have to redesign a large part of the music playback. However, due to some 'real life' 'problems' I cannot concentrate on it enough to figure out a good solution. Until I get my thoughts in line again there is no chance of a new GoF release from my side.
I do have volume control and restarting a song ready tough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2009 02:51PM by Daid.
December 19, 2009 06:05PM
This is slightly off-topic but...

Will an XBox360 Guitar Hero Guitar Controller work on Guitars on Fire? It hooks up through USB so I figure it's possible. Probably requires some more programming though, huh?

EDIT: The Xplorer model, incase it matters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2009 06:06PM by Kammesennin.
December 21, 2009 01:06AM
Nope, USB controllers don't work. Except for USB keyboards.
December 28, 2009 07:11PM
Just Make It So Their Is No Star Power If It Isn't properly Charted In dB
For The Midi Loading, Star Power Is MIDI note 103 (G6)
So No Auto-Star Power Creation. And If Your Really Bent On It, Harmonix Tends To Place Atleast One Per Section, Every 20 Seconds Or So, For 3-4 Seconds EAch
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login