Homebrew from SD-Card
December 21, 2009 11:54AM
Hello,

First of all, I'm a newbie. However, can someone explain to me the following:

If we are able to modify the Wii such that we can install a Homebrew Channel
by the bannerbomb, why can't we use the bannerbomb to start the Homebrew
Channel directly?

I know, there are some IOS which we have to replace, but can't these be done
temporarily -e.g., hacking the running code for file access - such that after a reboot
my wii is a virgin again.

- Fire22
Re: Homebrew from SD-Card
December 21, 2009 12:18PM
you dont need to overwrite ANY ios to use homebrew. the only reason to mess with any IOS it to add to it abilities that it wasnt created with. the biggest reasons people hack up IOSes is to restore the trucha bug and from there play games they didnt pay for. you can use bannerbomb to install the homebrew channel and from there play all the homebrew games fine with whatever stock IOS you are using.
December 21, 2009 02:18PM
you can use bannerbomb to run LoadMii instead of the HackMii Installer, and run any homebrew you want from there without leaving any trace on the wii of what has been done. you do not need to modify IOS for anything other than a)piracy or b)system mods, such as custom channels, themes, deleting/dumping files, system menu patches etc. The former is unsupported here, and the later does not apply to your situation, because you don't want to modify the system at all. Therefore, this is a perfectly viable solution.
December 22, 2009 03:41PM
Thanks for the quick answers. What is the difference between LoadMii and HackMii? Hope the question isn't too stupid, but am I right:

Note that I have a black Wii, i.e., I probable have a drive that can not read copies of DVDs.
After starting homebrew without changes on NAND of the Wii, I can than use as apps DVDx to watch original movie DVDs?
If not, what must I do? I would like to avoid buying a separate DVD player.

- Fire22
December 22, 2009 03:57PM
Loadmii is a facilitator. It just runs code. The hackmii installer is an app that will install HBC, Bootmii, and DVDx.

You might be able to watch DVDs on your wii, but maybe not. If that is the case then you just have to wait for TT to figure it out. (or make a hack by yourself :)
December 22, 2009 04:44PM
You cannot watch DVDs without installing DVDx (DVDx is not an app you run, its a hidden channel you install to allow other apps to play DVDs)

LoadMii just runs homebrew off SD card, kinda like HBC, only without needing to be installed first. It always has to be run via an exploit (e.g. bannerbomb). Or you could run it via HBC, but that'd be pretty pointless. HackMii Installer cannot run homebrew, it just installs HBC, DVDx and BootMii.

Anyway, as I said, it is impossible to play DVDs without installing DVDx i.e. modifying NAND.
January 15, 2010 06:17PM
Hello again,

does the following work:

I start homebrew from SD card and from the homebrew channel. Then I start a nand-emulation so that I can modify in the nand-emulation all necessary to view dvds?

In other words, by this approach I can watch DVD without modifying anything in the nand?

- Fire22
January 15, 2010 07:17PM
there is no proper working nand emu, but even if there was IT would require nand modification, probably moreso than dvdx.
January 15, 2010 11:47PM
Just to inform the people who didn't know: Nintendo changed the drives of new Wiis to access video dvds in a different way(?) or maybe they shut down that capability completely from the hardware side(that's what i think). The pirates are crying that the new Wiis can't read burned discs anymore. It's said that the black Wiis and the latest white ones have these drives.

Pirates and people who want to watch movies use the same exploit to trick the Wii to read DVD-Rs. So if it would be possible to enable watching movies on new Wiis, i guess nobody of TT would be interested in this, as it would be used by the pirates(again...).
January 16, 2010 12:05AM
WiiPower
Just to inform the people who didn't know: Nintendo changed the drives of new Wiis to access video dvds in a different way(?) or maybe they shut down that capability completely from the hardware side(that's what i think). The pirates are crying that the new Wiis can't read burned discs anymore. It's said that the black Wiis and the latest white ones have these drives.

Pirates and people who want to watch movies use the same exploit to trick the Wii to read DVD-Rs. So if it would be possible to enable watching movies on new Wiis, i guess nobody of TT would be interested in this, as it would be used by the pirates(again...).

Very true, but kinda off-topic.
January 16, 2010 01:24AM
WiiPower
So if it would be possible to enable watching movies on new Wiis, i guess nobody of TT would be interested in this, as it would be used by the pirates(again...).
Not true. I had a very long conversation with Twiizers member (and forum admin) blasty on IRC about a week ago about these new DVD drives. Twiizers is extremely interested in reviving DVDX.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2010 01:25AM by Arikado.
January 16, 2010 09:58AM
@Wiipower: I know about the problem of the new drives, but I thought its a problem with DVD-R disks; as long as I use original DVDs bought from a shop, it still work, doesn't it?

@SifJar:

You can find complete manuals for the installation of NAND-Simulation.

Are this fakes?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2010 03:59PM by fire22.
January 16, 2010 03:48PM
fire22
@Wiipower: I know about the problem of the new drives, but I thought its a problem with DVD-R disks; as long as I use original DVDs bought from a shop, it still work, doesn't it?

No. The ONLY discs that will play in a Wii with a new drive is a bought official Wii game. Movie DVDs cannot be played through MPlayer CE, nor can burnt discs be played, or "backups". DVDx does not function at all
fire22
@SifJar:

You can find complete manuals for the installation of NAND-Simulation, e.g.,

[link removed]

Are this fakes?

Thats just for loading VC/WW games off SD card, it wouldn't work for DVDx. And anyway, you need to install cIOS for that to work. Oh, and please remove that link, it has stuff in it which is unsupported here.
January 18, 2010 03:45PM
Hi,

My comment might be off topic, I apologize...I'm working on a solution without any NAND change too.
(If it's not the right place to post, please redirect me)

My goal is only to watch divx from USB storage. Everything works fine: just a banner bomb (aad1f_v108) and MPlayer CE (patched to cleanly shutdown the Wii when exiting).

The only improvement I'm looking for, is to reduce "user action" to launch MPlayer: so I'm trying to remove the banner bomb confirmation pop-up.
I have then extracted the code of the banner bomb (with help of Segher's_WiiTools), patched the assembler and tried to recreate the "content.bin". But the result seems to be uncorrect from Wii point of view... I just get a "?" on SD menu...

So: does anyone know how to create a correct "content.bin" ?

Thanx for any tips !

K.
January 18, 2010 06:58PM
I watch Divx movies all the time from my thumbdrive and I don't have any cIOS installed. Or does Mplayer CE not play anything from a USB if launched from bannerbomb.
January 18, 2010 09:24PM
Crisco
I watch Divx movies all the time from my thumbdrive and I don't have any cIOS installed. Or does Mplayer CE not play anything from a USB if launched from bannerbomb.

Did you read his post? XD He wasn't talking about cIOS or anything, he was just saying that bannerbomb takes a while and was trying to make it faster.
January 19, 2010 03:02AM
Ahh sorry, misread it. I read it as he wanted to watch Divx movies, and wanted to make it easier. I didn't realize he was talking about one thing.

But let me get this straight, He is trying to modify bannerbomb to automatically load Mplayer_CE with out choosing "ok" when it asks you if you want to load the boot.elf/dol.
January 19, 2010 04:21AM
Without installing dvdx and trying to watch a movie is there a way to know for sure if your white Wii has the new drive type or not? I would like to watch dvd's on my Wii, but I don't want to install anything extra on my wii that I don't have to, especially if I can find out ahead of time that it won't work anyways. Ex. knowing your drive chip type, serial number lookup of model year, etc... I do not care about burnt discs just legit dvd's. Thanks.

Elmoreas
January 19, 2010 04:39AM
When did you get your wii?
January 19, 2010 04:55AM
June 27th 2008
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login