Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Wii-OS

Posted by AllRight 
The Wii-OS
January 01, 2010 05:28AM
i've wanted this for a long enough time. we need to code a Wii Operating System. Capable Of Installing PPC Software And Other Things. I'm Putting Together A Coding Team. I Will Be Responsible For The GFX And Some Simpler Coding (PHP Is My Code =D). As Well As Organizing. I've Been Reading Up On Other OS's On The Wii. I'm Thinking It Will Need A Direct Operating System As Well As A UI As Default. It Will Be Unix-Esque. Anyone Want In?
Re: The Wii-OS
January 02, 2010 12:55AM
i also add that it would have support for an in-game window similar to how the 360 has it, part of the OS, not included code.
January 02, 2010 10:42PM
No offence, but you will NOT be able to do this. Having a "window" in-game would require far more memory than the Wii has. And you seemingly have very little programming knowledge or experience, so will not be able to write any sort of OS. Sorry to burst your bubble.
January 03, 2010 04:34AM
Is this actually possible? I don't think you could call it an operating system, unless it was some of the first code booted. An operating system should run before any other code does. If the wii's operating system code starts, then what is the point. You shouldn't worrie about creating an operating system, which is extreamly hard(trust me, I trying), but instead just useful programs. These are much easier, and you wont be spending months trying to debug them. Also, If you were to create an operating system, you couldn't use ANY premade functions. This means any printf functions. You can't use any libraries. You also can't use php in an operating system, until you have written support for it. This has to be written in C, or maybe assembly. And, if this were a true operating system, then you have a lot more to worrie about now, then about graphics, or an in-game window. Most of this only applies to a real operating system, which is booted before any other code, but it is realativly the same. You could build a single application that would provide yourself access to the applications on an SD card, able to boot wii games, and even have a gui. But you can't call it an OS.
January 03, 2010 04:41AM
Might I add that this *could* be possible if booted through BootMii's SD load feature. However, I would suggest if you really want an OS, get to work on the Linux project for the wii, then port it over to run with MINI through BootMii and start on from there. Just my thought...
January 03, 2010 02:37PM
Wii Linux can already run through MINI via the MiKe kernel.
January 04, 2010 12:03AM
You could do something involving a Gecko-like hook, I think, but it would be hard.
January 04, 2010 08:48PM
WikiFSX
You could do something involving a Gecko-like hook, I think, but it would be hard.

I highly doubt there would be enough free memory for an Xbox 360 style popup thingy. From what I've read, there is barely enough free memory for the code reload hook, which I think is reasonably small.
January 05, 2010 06:28AM
If I'm reading the wiki correctly, i believe that the wii has 64Mb + 24Mb of avalible ram, so not much :(
January 05, 2010 10:53PM
if only the wii didn't suck.
i think it is available. maybe threaded apps isn't. but this is more or less plausible
January 07, 2010 10:11PM
g_man
Is this actually possible? I don't think you could call it an operating system, unless it was some of the first code booted. An operating system should run before any other code does. If the wii's operating system code starts, then what is the point. You shouldn't worrie about creating an operating system, which is extreamly hard(trust me, I trying), but instead just useful programs. These are much easier, and you wont be spending months trying to debug them. Also, If you were to create an operating system, you couldn't use ANY premade functions. This means any printf functions. You can't use any libraries. You also can't use php in an operating system, until you have written support for it. This has to be written in C, or maybe assembly. And, if this were a true operating system, then you have a lot more to worrie about now, then about graphics, or an in-game window. Most of this only applies to a real operating system, which is booted before any other code, but it is realativly the same. You could build a single application that would provide yourself access to the applications on an SD card, able to boot wii games, and even have a gui. But you can't call it an OS.
you could have BootMii/PreLoader Boot The DOL Directly.
and besides, OS's aren't the first code that loads on a PC.
The processor Boot's the BIOS, BIOS Looks For An OS, And The OS And BIOS Make Calls Until The BIOS Hands Over Control To The OS.
/owned
January 08, 2010 03:38AM
Not really, The BIOS does run code first DUHH!!!. But, since this code in in ROM. It cannot be edited without flashing it. So, I didn't count.
Google messed this up in there video introducing cromium OS. They wrote that the kernel is loaded before the boot loader. LOL
January 11, 2010 05:18AM
On a PC.

The Wii first loads boot0 on the ARM chip, which then decrypts and verifies boot1. If that fails, boot0 calls a panic function and halts. It is engineered into the ARM chip, and is hard to upgrade on new Wiis and impossible to upgrade on old ones.
boot1 does basically the same with boot2. It does a few other checks, also. In any case, failing causes it to panic and halt. It can easily be updated on new Wiis, but cannot be updated on old ones.
boot2 (which is where BootMii is installed in the boot process) loads a normal IOS read from the System Menu's TMD, which in turn loads the System Menu. It can be updated.

When starting a GameCube game, a piece of software called BC is started, which is a modified BC slows down the Wii's PowerPC processor speed and starts boot2. boot2 detects this, and loads mIOS instead of a normal IOS. mIOS loads the GameCube game (it also patches some) and then does nothing. Both BC and mIOS can be updated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2010 05:20AM by WikiFSX.
January 11, 2010 12:48PM
Its with great pleasure I can close this ridiculous topic as AllRight has been permanently banned because he is a permanently banned user trying to return to the forums.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.