Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Virtual Boy Emulator

Posted by corey89 
Re: Virtual Boy Emulator
April 20, 2010 11:43PM
I'm obviously biased, but Mednafen has superior performance(at least on x86 PC, I'm not sure even it will run full-speed on the CPU the Wii uses) and commercial game compatibility, and much better sound emulation compared to Reality Boy. On the other hand, Reality Boy has a very simple build system, and few dependencies, and would probably be easier to get up and running faster given the target system has an Allegro port.

Mednafen can be built without emulation of all systems but one, as well.
April 21, 2010 02:28AM
@Mednafen
We have an ALLEGRO port for Wii homebrew?

I basically chose Reality Boy over Mednafen because for me personally it is much easier to port and will probably perform better on the Wii than Mednafen which performs better on higher end machines.
April 21, 2010 12:01PM
I suggest calling it "Super Headache-Inducer GX"
April 21, 2010 12:36PM
alainvey
I suggest calling it "Super Headache-Inducer GX"

I like that name :)

@Mednafen: IIRC Mednafen is based off Reality Boy, so as fast as someone gets Reality Boy running it should be possible to transfer and modify some code from Mednafen to Reality Boy. Someone also mentioned this in the beginning of this topic I think.
April 22, 2010 12:13AM
Has anyone here tested the performance of Mednafen's VB emulation versus Reality Boy's? I have reports of it working fine on PC systems where Reality Boy is too slow to run full-speed. The only thing I know of that's possibly slower than Reality Boy's implementation is affine mode drawing.

Only the CPU emulator is based off Reality Boy, and that has been heavily optimized and otherwise improved. The sound chip emulation, video chip emulation, and general VB support code in Mednafen is all original.
April 23, 2010 06:19AM
How about "Wiiality Boy" for the name? I know you guys have been trying to come up with a name.
April 23, 2010 02:57PM
nightwishfan1
How about "Wiiality Boy" for the name?
ROFL. It fits!
July 22, 2010 11:55PM
@Arikado

Just curious if you started working on the port of Reality Boy, I remember you mentioned you had started coding something some time ago.
July 23, 2010 02:41AM
^^^He did start it some time ago. There's a google code project page for it. Just search "reality boy wii" under the google code search.
July 25, 2010 04:50PM
corey89
@Arikado

Just curious if you started working on the port of Reality Boy, I remember you mentioned you had started coding something some time ago.
[code.google.com]

It's got some stuff ported (input) and other stuff that still needs to be ported. About 30% complete. I stopped working on it publicly and am currently only working privately in order to avoid making tons of commits. However, I can 99% guarantee you that what's in there now would work if the rest was completed - only stable code is in there.
November 26, 2010 04:51AM
Maybe I'll be able to help. I'll check out the C++ guide your talking about & see if it makes sense to me. When you get the emulator going will you please make a really cool forwarder channel like Tantric did with his emulators? It's the icing on the cake.
November 26, 2010 10:02AM
punkydudester
When you get the emulator going will you please make a really cool forwarder channel like Tantric did with his emulators? It's the icing on the cake.
I doubt it. You can make your own forwarder.
November 26, 2010 03:23PM
For anyone wondering I ended up completely redesigning the port. With the help of DarkNation I ported over ALLEGRO to the wii ( [code.google.com] ) and using the port of ALLEGRO I've managed to get the emulator working in some respects. It begins basic CPU emulation but fails as I need to do a lot of endianness swapping to the ROM for it be read. Im pushing for at least a crappy initial release no later than the new year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login