Idea: This maybe a stupid idea but I thought I would throw it out anyway
April 18, 2010 03:25AM
There's tons of people everyday wanting to know how to use Devkitppc and wanting to get there own programs out there..

I thought maybe I or someone else could make a video showing how to do just that.

Show a video making a simple program.

And then putting it on the browser.
There are those out there like me that learn by seeing how its done.

Devkitppc is a great program but It can be overwhelming for a newb.

What does everyone think... Bad, Good,etc.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2010 03:26AM by chrono36.
Re: Idea: This maybe a stupid idea but I thought I would throw it out anyway
April 18, 2010 03:46AM
there is too many possible things to consider. to cover all the projects that rely on non-standard libs, you would need a different video for each project. otherwise you will end up with an insanely long video with different sections telling to install different libs which are not needed for all projects that would be even more confusing. the instructions on wiibrew already show how to set up devkit. if you cant follow that, then no video will help you.

1-run the windows installer.
2-open up a cmd window and cd to the folder with a project in it
3-type "make"

for more advanced projects, build/find the necessary libs needed, put them in your devkit folder. then go to step 2

to actually create your own project, learn some c/c++. write some code. then go to step 2
April 18, 2010 05:39AM
I actually think that's a good idea. Particularly if the video explained the code and above all what it does. I had to reverse-learn a lot of the code, and I'm still learning!
April 18, 2010 06:02AM
I also think think this would be helpful. I have gained most of my programming experience from wii dev and it would have been helpful to have a good tutorial on installing libs and such
April 19, 2010 02:49PM
To use devkitPPC and libogc you have to know C backwards and forwards. Sure, you can compile stuff without knowing them; But to do anything original you'll need to know them.

If you know C, then the idea of asking for what you're asking is completely inane.

The only documentation anyone could possibly want would be documentation explaining the purpose of the functions and their parameters, etc. To that end that's why we have these forums, #wiidev on EFNET, and well documented additional libraries like libwiisprite and libwiigui.

In short: I'm recommending that you go learn C.
April 20, 2010 07:10AM
I actually think that the wii is a good platform to learn C. Sure you should learn the very basics on a PC, but I started out on wii development with barly any knowledge of pointers, and libraries, but wii development taught me that. I also think that it is faster to get developing on the wii. I didn't, and still don't like programming for the PC because I have yet to find a good graphics library, whereas with the wii we have GRRLIB, which is good for beginners. I guess I have to agree with Arikado partially, in that you should know the basics, but having at least a text tutorial for installing libraries and such is a good idea.
April 20, 2010 11:36AM
g_man: I've heard a bunch of people (amongst others, Arikado) recommend Allegro as a good PC graphics library. I haven't used it, but I have looked at it and to me it seems good. Another one is SDL, but it isn't as versatile and powerful as Allegro I guess. And so we have openGL (which you can use with SDL), but it's quite complicated to use.
April 20, 2010 02:33PM
g_man
I actually think that the wii is a good platform to learn C.
An embedded platform is never a good place to learn C simply because even if you write your code correctly it may not work because there's a bug in the compiler (devkitPPC in this case). Plus, that white console text is ever so blurry :P
April 20, 2010 03:19PM
profetylen
g_man: I've heard a bunch of people (amongst others, Arikado) recommend Allegro as a good PC graphics library. I haven't used it, but I have looked at it and to me it seems good. Another one is SDL, but it isn't as versatile and powerful as Allegro I guess. And so we have openGL (which you can use with SDL), but it's quite complicated to use.
I will look up Allegro later, but I have never liked SDL.

Arikado
An embedded platform is never a good place to learn C simply because even if you write your code correctly it may not work because there's a bug in the compiler (devkitPPC in this case).
True, but DevkitPPC, the compiler, is just a PPC cross-compiler built of gcc so there aren't too many bugs. I can see what you mean though.

Arikado
Plus, that white console text is ever so blurry :P
I know, I always hated this, until I found dolphin which makes the text readable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login