Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best of Microsoft Entertainment Pack (Clone or port)?

Posted by ModEverything 
Best of Microsoft Entertainment Pack (Clone or port)?
May 07, 2010 08:15AM
You know Skifree, jezzball, pipedream, etc. It's early Microsoft OS games, so it wouldn't be too hard to port would it?

I understand that it may be copyrighted but didn't Apple just get it on the Iphone? Does that mean Apple paid to put it on the Iphone or has it been around so long that Microsoft either A)doesn't care or B)it is now fair use? If legally it can be done, having it ported to the Wii would be spectacular. I don't have much programming experience at all but if anyone is interested in completing this piece of homebrew I will help with whatever I can. Hell, I'll even donate to the site. So much good stuff here. :)

If legally it cannot be ported, then how about clones? Anyone down for that? Would really love this to get off the ground to play the classics. Like I said I'll help with whatever I can. Thanks.
Re: Best of Microsoft Entertainment Pack (Clone or port)?
May 07, 2010 08:17AM
They're not Open Source, a developer (NOT APPLE), paid to get the source code, and port it (although, it may just be a clone)
May 07, 2010 08:32AM
I see. Maybe I'll just have to pay Microsoft to get the source code? lol. It was worth a shot though. How hard would it be to make a clone of these games? They're not very advanced. Hell if people can make Quake ports for the wii then surely they can for this too.
May 07, 2010 08:43AM
ModEverything
I see. Maybe I'll just have to pay Microsoft to get the source code? lol. It was worth a shot though. How hard would it be to make a clone of these games? They're not very advanced. Hell if people can make Quake ports for the wii then surely they can for this too.
No offense, but... What makes you think thats true? Do you have any experience in coding?
May 07, 2010 03:06PM
ModEverything

*facepalm* the thing is, the Quake ports are just that, ports. The Quake engine is open source, so you have everything you need to port it from system A to system B. Skifree, while the program may look simple, the code may not be as simple.
May 11, 2010 03:30AM
The author of SkiFree put up a free download on his site so it shouldn't be a problem. As for the other games, I'm not sure. Would love to play Chip's Challenge on my Wii though.
May 11, 2010 04:39AM
Elija2
The author of SkiFree put up a free download on his site so it shouldn't be a problem. As for the other games, I'm not sure. Would love to play Chip's Challenge on my Wii though.

*harder facepalm*

He put a download for the GAME on his site, not the source code. Learn the difference, it'll help you some day
May 19, 2010 05:16AM
Actually, I was doing some research on DOS Box for the PC. I read a tutorial on installing windows 3.1 for DOS Box. I also read that WII DOS Box will run windows 3.1 DOS v. 6. So it might be possible for me to run windows 3.1 on Wii Dos Box and somehow put the Entertainment Pack on there. I don't have a copy of windows 3.1 yet to try, but does anyone know if you have to re install windows 3.1 everytime you run DOS Box? When I get a copy, I will see if I can get it to run the Microsoft entertainment pack on it and will report back to this post explaining how to do it. Wish me luck!
May 19, 2010 06:58AM
Well, let's do a bit of reasoning and logic here.

If you use DOSBox to install Windows 3.1, it would then have to write files to the SD card. If files are written to the SD card, that means they're there, which would then mean you have it installed on your SD card and don't have to install it every time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login