Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Super Mario Crossover, (truly a gem).

Posted by megamike360 
Super Mario Crossover, (truly a gem).
May 20, 2010 06:10PM
If you have never heard of it, you should go play it now. It is a flash game where you can play in the original SMB, with Mario, (duh), Samus, Mega Man, Simon, (Castlevania), Bill, (Contra), and Link.

Unlike other games, this IS NOT a swap between visuals. You get to play as the character exactly as you would there normal games! Link has his sword and boomerang, Bill has his guns, Megaman has his arm cannon ect. Each way they power up is different too, as is there movement. Their physics from there game are there. Simons double jump and inability to control himself in the air, Samus' high jump and somersault, ECT. It's really unlike any other mario fan game out there. Plus, every level is there and the same as the original game, (you get to shoot bowser in the face with a machine gun!!!!! only for toad to tell you that the princess is in another castle >=( ).

Anyway, I am going to try and port it by de-compiling it and then recoding it, that is if the creator gives me permission. If you want to help, it would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to try out the game, go here: [www.newgrounds.com]

If you want to give me some tips on porting things to the wii, go ahead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2010 11:27PM by megamike360.
Re: Super Mario Crossover, (truly a gem).
May 20, 2010 06:19PM
Since it's a flash game, it would be easier to go to it in the Internet Channel than to port it.
May 20, 2010 06:50PM
Um, you are missing my drift. Not only would it be buggy, you would still be using a keyboard. Therefore, it would be harder to play it on the wii that way.
May 20, 2010 07:04PM
Check out the wiki on starting development - [wiibrew.org]. There are port of several libraries like SDL that would make it easier, see - [wiibrew.org]. It's really not that hard to develop for Wii, just play around for a while with the examples.

There are a few other people who have created tutorials.

[www.codemii.com]
[arikadosblog.blogspot.com]
[www.plaatsoft.nl]
May 20, 2010 08:56PM
I don't think you can port a game thats written in flash to the wii.

You could create a clone, though.
May 20, 2010 11:25PM
I have been doing extensive reading, and it looks like I could decompile the game and use the already made source to create a new version of it. I am currently talking to the creator about it.
May 20, 2010 11:50PM
megamike360
I have been doing extensive reading, and it looks like I could decompile the game and use the already made source to create a new version of it. I am currently talking to the creator about it.

Huh? Impossible unless you port flash. You have to basically need to clone the game.
May 21, 2010 12:44AM
The game was not written in flash, it was built on the NES Super mario bros, then transfered to flash for online play... However if I were to have to do that, would I be able to use any resources from the original game??? And I am confused as to why I cannot decompile it down to the source code, what would that do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2010 12:47AM by megamike360.
May 21, 2010 12:59AM
What do you mean by "it was built on the NES Super mario bros". This looks like a flash based fan clone of Mario, maybe I'm missing something or you're just trolling.

Sorry, I don't really understand your last post.
May 21, 2010 02:45AM
The game is a flash game. It was made using flash. If you don't know what flash is go to adobe.com and download the free trial of flash professional. Flash is primarily used to make animations, because that is what it is designed to make. Also flash is an interpreter for a language called Actionscript. Actionscript can differ greatly in many parts from C, as it is meant to be used with the animation part of flash. Also, .swf, a compiled flash file cannot simply be decompiled to get the source code. If you want to know why look at the problem of decompiling C. Even if you could decompile it, they way it is designed it wouldn't be worth it to port. Your best bet is either to clone it, and if it helps you can try and get the .fla the developer has, which would contain the code, which you would use incase you couldn't figure something out. You would be digging your own grave if you copied any of the source to your project. The only part of the source file you could possibly use are the images. Not that I am discourage you creating this game(I have played it, and hope that you are successful in recreating it) but the method to create the game in your previouse posts wouldn't work.
May 21, 2010 03:52AM
I see. Well, I suppose I have more experience in creating my own things, but recreating super mario bros. Plus adding characters would take so long you know? I'll look into what I can do. Does anyone know if there are any flash emus in development? If so it would be helpful to get what has been made so far. The last thing I can think of is decompiling it to simply get all the sprites, then as you said recreate it. I think It is worth a try! One more thing, would compiling the entire game into an executable help at all? I know the wii won't read it, but it could help in development right? Also, the game probably would be in SWF format and not FLA, I can download the whole game at my will, but I will ask the creator, he apparently never heard of Wii homebrew before I told him about it, (I told him that a Homebrew port could possiby increase visits to his website, ad revenue, and maybe donations to encourage him to grant me permission).
May 21, 2010 07:21AM
megamike360
I see. Well, I suppose I have more experience in creating my own things, but recreating super mario bros. Plus adding characters would take so long you know? I'll look into what I can do. Does anyone know if there are any flash emus in development? If so it would be helpful to get what has been made so far. The last thing I can think of is decompiling it to simply get all the sprites, then as you said recreate it. I think It is worth a try! One more thing, would compiling the entire game into an executable help at all? I know the wii won't read it, but it could help in development right? Also, the game probably would be in SWF format and not FLA, I can download the whole game at my will, but I will ask the creator, he apparently never heard of Wii homebrew before I told him about it, (I told him that a Homebrew port could possiby increase visits to his website, ad revenue, and maybe donations to encourage him to grant me permission).

No, no, no, no, no

The dev HAS to have an SWF, as that is the raw, uncompiled version of the game, the so called "source code". The concept of a flash emulator makes no sense. How would you even go about compiling the swf into a dol? Something tells me you have no idea what you're talking about.
May 21, 2010 04:51PM
cactusjack901

No, no, no, no, no

The dev HAS to have an SWF, as that is the raw, uncompiled version of the game, the so called "source code". The concept of a flash emulator makes no sense. How would you even go about compiling the swf into a dol? Something tells me you have no idea what you're talking about.

Uh, no. the SWF is the compiled game. And to OP: Of course the game is in "SWF format". It cannot be "in FLA format", because an FLA file is simply part of the source, which is then compiled into the SWF along with the images. You clearly don't no anything about flash, so porting the game is going to be incredibly hard for you. You cannot "compile the SWF into a binary" either BTW.
May 21, 2010 07:34PM
That is NOT what I meant. sigh. I meant simply creating a PC verion of the game FIRST. When it comes to the wii, I have only ported a few things directly from PC, however, I have plenty of experience with flash, so don't tell me I do not know what I am talking about in that regard. The way you worded your sentance confused me is all. Ok. First things first. Do you think that SDL would help?
May 21, 2010 08:05PM
megamike360
That is NOT what I meant. sigh. I meant simply creating a PC verion of the game FIRST. When it comes to the wii, I have only ported a few things directly from PC, however, I have plenty of experience with flash, so don't tell me I do not know what I am talking about in that regard. The way you worded your sentance confused me is all. Ok. First things first. Do you think that SDL would help?

SDL is only going to help if you start from scratch, the flash version is not going to use it. I use SDL simply because I can develop and debug on windows, then tweak it to work on Wii. Wii SDL is very complete but not as fast as GX and steals a lot of memory.

If you're really serious about porting this then you could easily decompile the swf using something like Trillix Flash Decompiler. It recreates the action script code perfectly, it also dumps images, sprites etc... Of course you'd need permission to use the assets from the author. I guess there's no harm in peeking at the source to give you ideas as you'd be recreating something new in C/C++.
May 21, 2010 08:33PM
SifJar
cactusjack901

No, no, no, no, no

Uh, no. the SWF is the compiled game. And to OP: Of course the game is in "SWF format". It cannot be "in FLA format", because an FLA file is simply part of the source, which is then compiled into the SWF along with the images. You clearly don't no anything about flash, so porting the game is going to be incredibly hard for you. You cannot "compile the SWF into a binary" either BTW.

Whoops, I meant FLA, sorry, I was a little stoned at that point in time.
May 21, 2010 11:09PM
scanff
SDL is only going to help if you start from scratch, the flash version is not going to use it. I use SDL simply because I can develop and debug on windows, then tweak it to work on Wii. Wii SDL is very complete but not as fast as GX and steals a lot of memory.

If you're really serious about porting this then you could easily decompile the swf using something like Trillix Flash Decompiler. It recreates the action script code perfectly, it also dumps images, sprites etc... Of course you'd need permission to use the assets from the author. I guess there's no harm in peeking at the source to give you ideas as you'd be recreating something new in C/C++.

Thanks a bunch! That is EXACTLY what I wanted to know! Like I said, I am talking with the creator about it, so we will have to wait and see if he says yes. (Why would'nt he say yes? It's not like I'm going to make money on it).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2010 11:10PM by megamike360.
May 21, 2010 11:57PM
megamike360
scanff

Thanks a bunch! That is EXACTLY what I wanted to know! Like I said, I am talking with the creator about it, so we will have to wait and see if he says yes. (Why would'nt he say yes? It's not like I'm going to make money on it).

Because apparently he spent about a year of his life practically SOLELY devoted to developing the game, and may not want you to port it to Wii and take a load of credit.
May 25, 2010 12:27PM
I've started to work on a clone for fun. Not sure if I'll ever finish it, but it's something simple and fun to work on.

I do have some slight other ideas, which will make it a different game from SMC. I don't want to stick to just plugging other chars in super mario. I want to try to mix up everything. So a world of mario, a dungeon of zelda, a map of contra. All playable with the different chars. I also want to see if I can mix in the chars from the 3 different super marios from the nintendo 8bit and ofcourse Kirby!
June 01, 2010 09:49PM
There was a game similar to this out there with snes-esque graphics. It had sonic, mario, and a few others. I forget. Its call mushroom kindom fusion reactor. You might look inti porting that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login