Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Use of Bannerbomb for distribution?

Posted by SteelSLasher 
Use of Bannerbomb for distribution?
June 01, 2010 01:20PM
I was thinking if it would be possible to distribute homebrew applications via a physical media.

I came across the idea that maybe we could pre-install bannerbomb and set it up to run the application.

I am not saying we SHOULD do this I am just pointing out its potential, what bothers me is the possibility of brick occuring directly because of bannerbomb.

I know that system version numbers will have to be sorted out but that bridge can be crossed later
Re: Use of Bannerbomb for distribution?
June 01, 2010 03:09PM
SteelSLasher
what bothers me is the possibility of brick occuring directly because of bannerbomb.
Bannerbomb does not cause bricks.
June 01, 2010 03:26PM
bg4545
SteelSLasher
what bothers me is the possibility of brick occuring directly because of bannerbomb.
Bannerbomb does not cause bricks.

It can AFAIK. If you select "No" to the "Load dol/elf?" prompt, you can copy the channel to your Wii and get a bannerbrick afaik. icefire did it IIRC, and posted a video a while back. Basically it made the prompt appear as soon as the System Menu loads. Dunno if it still actually worked or not.
June 01, 2010 10:20PM
True, but is anyone stupid enough to do that?
June 01, 2010 10:34PM
Probably. I tried to do that once, but when I selected the Bannerbomb icon, it launched the executable on the root of the SD card. I was never able to get to the option to copy Bannerbomb to the wii. Does anyone know how frequently it is possible to copy Bannerbomb to the NAND?
June 01, 2010 11:36PM
I dunno, but I also don't see the need to distribute homebrew on physical media. In my opinion it makes it "too easy", not trying to be offensive here, just saying that the easier it is, the more people will use it without research, and therefore the more bricks there will be. But that's just my opinion.
June 01, 2010 11:43PM
SifJar
I dunno, but I also don't see the need to distribute homebrew on physical media. In my opinion it makes it "too easy", not trying to be offensive here, just saying that the easier it is, the more people will use it without research, and therefore the more bricks there will be. But that's just my opinion.

I agree

Case-in-point: Pandora Battery, I said to Mathieulh way back when it first came out, "this is simultaneously going to be the best and worst thing in the PSP hacking scene" and he agreed, it's immensely useful, but it brought with it way too many n00bs
June 18, 2010 03:11PM
SifJar

Yes but what about those who are not tech savvy in any way, not all people will know how to install HBC and may not even possess the computing skills to do so.

Furthermore, how many people have HBC installed, if someone makes an app and wants to have a wider audience to distribute to then SD cards would be a better choice because it does not limit the app to those who have HBC and those who access homebrew related content (wiibrew.org, hackmii etc.)
June 18, 2010 03:16PM
IMO, if someone can't install HBC, they shouldn't be messing with homebrew, which can in some cases be dangeroous.
June 19, 2010 12:07AM
SifJar
IMO, if someone can't install HBC, they shouldn't be messing with homebrew, which can in some cases be dangeroous.

This
June 21, 2010 04:17AM
The new version of BannerBomb fixed the 'No' selection. Also, what kind of physical media are you suggesting if the person doesn't already have homebrew 'distributed' on their console?

USB? No.
Burned disc? No.

And unfortunately, like with the Pandora Battery, people will start saying "OMG!!1 BANNERBREW CHANNEL MADE MY WII BROKED!"

Too many idiots already came when the USB Loader was created...
June 25, 2010 07:53PM
Actually nevermind, seeing as though 4.3 killed bannerbomb, its a lot more of a stupid idea
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login