Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

VPN Function Homebrew

Posted by drake.d0n3 
VPN Function Homebrew
June 15, 2010 01:46AM
Is there any way that VPN capabilities can be added to Internet Settings via homebrew?
Or an external homebrew app to connect to a vpn network?
Re: VPN Function Homebrew
June 15, 2010 03:33AM
What's the point of that? Please explain some more.
June 17, 2010 03:12AM
So people can connect to their office if it is a VPN or just to connect to other VPNs as a means for WiFi security/anonymity...
e.g. www.itshidden.com is a vpn
June 17, 2010 03:29AM
I know what a VPN does but why connect to one with the Wii.

I use a VPN for accessing work files on a file share, connecting to local work servers etc. Even if someone wrote a client I don't think any homebrew would work with it.
June 17, 2010 10:58AM
drake.d0n3
e.g. www.itshidden.com is a vpn
No it's not. That's a (secure) proxy service.
June 17, 2010 09:16PM
Daid, its considered a Vpn Tunnel... as is ultravpn.fr, internetnolimit.com
Its useful to get around filters that block sites just as a proxy is, but they are more secure.
I'm not saying build a vpn server for the Wii, I am simply saying add the capabilities to connect to one via a homebrew app.
That way people can have the option both proxy & vpn on the Wii...

iPod touch & iPhone have this function already...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 09:18PM by drake.d0n3.
June 17, 2010 11:03PM
There's no homebrew web browser and it's not possible to apply any homebrew patches to the internet channel. Something like this is pointless right now.

Also not sure why those site are saying their VPN's. Their basically secure proxies, once data leaves their servers there's no way to keep it secure.
June 18, 2010 01:49AM
I agree the Homebrew Internet Browser should come first..
See idk how else to explain this but to connect to say internetnolimit you would use gw.internetnolimit.com, in vpn connection settings on a laptop or iphone whereas a proxy is a simple IP/Port configuration...
VPNs almost Always use a server name Not an IP address although there are cases where it is used as the server.

Edit: I do hope VPN settings will be considered for the future.

But we definetly need the homebrew internet browser first, cmon scanff you can do it ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2010 01:50AM by drake.d0n3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login